• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR What's Going on with Goblinoid Games (Labyrinth Lord)?

Retreater

Legend
Reading on one of my OSR groups on social media, there was a post from Dan Proctor from Goblinoid Games (who produces Labyrinth Lord) that seems to suggest that the company is pulling back operations. Given that they were a big presence earlier in the OSR, I think that's saying something.

Attachments

• 1658324596268.png
    1658324596268.png
    245.5 KB · Views: 153

I suspect that might have something to do with it, though it's not like Goblinoid Games had a particularly robust portfolio of releases. Still, OSE has definitely occupied the same territory as LL, with a massive presence and community support.

OSE ate their lunch?

The Goblinoid Games website currently:

1658325565595.png

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I see that Frog God Games/Necromancer has dropped Swords & Wizardry after many years and are now updating content to OSE.
Isn't that at least partly due to Matt Finch parting ways with Frog God, and taking Swords & Wizardry with him? Last I remember hearing, he had said he's updating/rebranding it for sale under his own Mythmere company.

Retreater

Legend
Isn't that at least partly due to Matt Finch parting ways with Frog God, and taking Swords & Wizardry with him? Last I remember hearing, he had said he's updating/rebranding it for sale under his own Mythmere company.
Frog God could certainly have continued producing content for S&W instead of dropping it like a hot potato for OSE. When the largest content creator for S&W abandons it, it's not looking good for the longevity of S&W.
Will we still see some stuff for S&W - maybe? I can see the occasional amateur release from someone who doesn't want to publish for OSE. Maybe Mythmere creates something down the road?

teitan

Legend
Frog God could certainly have continued producing content for S&W instead of dropping it like a hot potato for OSE. When the largest content creator for S&W abandons it, it's not looking good for the longevity of S&W.
Will we still see some stuff for S&W - maybe? I can see the occasional amateur release from someone who doesn't want to publish for OSE. Maybe Mythmere creates something down the road?
He’s got experience now with publishing major products and good will. He’s no longer associated with Webb and he knows how to run Kickstarters so a new edition of S&W could easily be accomplished with a revised editorial apparatus and artwork as well as additional material and Re-releasing OOP materials like Monstrosities. I think Frog God wasn’t really living off S&W so much as PF and 5e materials. S&W though could still be popular enough that Finch can carry it. OSE is more a slick product than something unique and Finch is savvy enough to know that.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I knew something was up with Goblinoid Games last year when they didn't offer their traditional Pumpkin Spice printing of Labyrinth Lord in October. :(

Retreater

Legend
He’s got experience now with publishing major products and good will. He’s no longer associated with Webb and he knows how to run Kickstarters so a new edition of S&W could easily be accomplished with a revised editorial apparatus and artwork as well as additional material and Re-releasing OOP materials like Monstrosities. I think Frog God wasn’t really living off S&W so much as PF and 5e materials. S&W though could still be popular enough that Finch can carry it. OSE is more a slick product than something unique and Finch is savvy enough to know that.
A new edition/printing of S&W (a boxed set with digest books) was released around a year and a half ago. I wonder how many editions the niche market can withstand of it?
The boxed set was clearly released to compete with the format and success of OSE, and it seems to draw unfavorable comparisons only.

Yora

Legend
I must admit I've never heard of Goblinoid Games before. The name had me immediately think of Frog God Games and Necromancer Games, and it seems I was right.
What was the relationship there?

Remove ads