• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What would you like 4E to look like.

tx7321

First Post
I know this isn't going to reflect anything but wishful thinking. Whatever you suggest, keep it to something you think would have a chance.

Me 1E of course. ;) ;)

ChristianW

First Post
Have you ever seen the HERO system core rulebook? It's a 500 page (or so) whopper of a hardcover. You could knock out a cat, or small, annoying dog, with it.

I'd like a 4e book to be massive like that. It'd integrate the rules from the PHB and DMG, as well as provide a few monsters. It'd be my one and only 4e purchase and I'd gladly pay $80 for the convenience of having all my rules within one tome.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
3 Core books
d20 based mechanics
Optional use of minis/battlemats
Optional online and PC based support
FR, Eberron, Greyhawk supported
Shiny.
Optional - Exciting & New.

EDIT: Hang on a sec. Thats just 3.5 updated a bit :D

Less collectible would be a good call. In terms of game mechanics, I'd like to see different costs for different skills. 2E designers already knew that they were not equal, current designers should accept this as well.

Cheers,

Gez

First Post
Spellcasting tied to a value, just like number of attack per round is tied to a value. It'll make multiclassing better.

Ferghis

First Post
Something also in electronic format, either by giving each printed book a unique code to access it online (it would be easy to license out codes to third parties), or secure electronic media in each book.

This way if they don't make the software that makes life easier, others can without the obstacle of data entry and IP infringement. In other words, software developers could allow you to use the data that each customer has fairly bought from WotC. And before anyone wallows that the data can be hacked/copied/whatever, the very same can be done with books.

Wik

First Post
I like the idea of having the core D&D Classes, but customizable. Already, the game does this - many books allow a character to swap out an existing class feature in exchange for some other class feature. I just think it'd be nice if that was written into the game, sort of like d20 modern's talent system.

A ranger, for example, would pick his fighting style. Instead of receiving favoured enemy, he could pick from a few abiliites - favoured enemy, favoured terrain, and evasion, for example.

I just think that'd be a neat little element to the game.

I'd like to see darker art. I don't really mind the current D&D artists, but I'm not a fan of a lot of the "pose" art. I'd rather see art that tries to tell a story - like Larry Elmore's stuff.

I think it'd be neat if feats were broken down into two types - feats that improve upon existing abilities, and feats that offer new abiliites.

Players would receive a certain number of each type of feat. So,a fighter could focus many of his feats on improving his attack bonuses, AC, speed, or whatever else, while still being able to take some of the "neat" feats like power attack.

I'd really love to see a simplified system. Get rid of 5 foot steps, maybe. Get rid of synergy bonuses for skills. Pare down the types of named bonuses to rid of number-crunching players. Maybe - just maybe - reduce the level-dependant nature of the game, where, if I like a monster with a CR of 5, I can't even introduce it until the characters are 3rd level (and then I'd have to be careful), and by the time they're 6th or 7th level, that creature is useless.

I'd like 4e to have a bit more stuff on setting development, as opposed to endless splat books.

A D20 base system; the core works, no need to change it.

Some consolidation of the more complex parts of the game. There's no need for the multiple different types of almost identical rolls for special maneuvers like trip, disarm, etc. Every attack should either be "attack v. AC" or "opposed attack v. opposed attack." Similarly, I think some skills could be combined for a shorter list.

I'd like to see a "magic attack bonus" that increases by level, just like BAB. Even fighters and the like would get a small advancement, just like wizards and co. get small BAB advancements. The "MAB" would impact spellcasting in all the ways BAB impacts combat.

Related to the previous point, just as Strength increases attack and damage rolls, Dex increases AC, and Con increases HP, the other three stats would do the same for magic-related combat. Int would add to one's ability to damage/affect someone with magic, Wis would add to one's ability to avoid magic, and Cha would add to one's ability to resist magic.

A slightly lower baseline of magic items per level, and a higher baseline of feats/stat bumps over the course of levels.

A combat system of scalable complexity, allowing for the use of minis, or not--and complex tactics, or not--as the players choose.

A core rules set that emphasizes feel, mood, environment, and plot as much as it does combat and exploration, with all elements equally supported and just as easy to remove for those who don't want 'em.

A consolidation of concepts such as CR, LA, HD, and ECL. While I'll be the first to admit I'm not sure how to do it, I really feel like one or two of those really ought to convey the necessary info.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads