• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What will 5E D&D be remembered for?

I’m not sure what 1E D&D is known for (it was before my time, so someone else can fill in the blank for me), but I do know that 2E D&D is known for the settings and worlds it introduced.

3E D&D is probably best known for its adventures and also its character options (feats, classes, prestige classes, etc.)

Outside of Gamma World, I only played in one short-lived 4E D&D PbP, but I understand it was well regarded for its set piece encounters.

So what do you think 5E D&D be known for? (and feel free to dispute what the earlier editions are known for)

G

ghostofchristmaspast

"Your DM chooses..." "Your DM may you roll..." "Leave this feature for approval by your DM"- canonical DM fiats.

ehenning

Explorer
Bringing back a great number of 2e player who had stopped playing years ago (20 yr hiatus for me).

The simplification of the rules and return to greater DM fiat also introduced D&D to a lot of new people who were more interested in shared role playing than just min/max tactics.

Kite474

Explorer
It will probably be remembered as the twilight years of D&D. A step towards smaller and less bombastic affairs of previous editions. It still wears the crown of "top dog in RPG industry" but now it will be more for its legacy and brand than what the actual edition provides.

Well at least to me. Im sure to the folks who started with 2e its a return to form, for 3e folks its a complete 180 of dam near everything, and for 4e folks its the thing its gonna be stuck in the shadow of.... Basically 5e will mean alot of things to different people depending on how you look at it.

BoldItalic

First Post
So what do you think 5E D&D be known for? (and feel free to dispute what the earlier editions are known for)

What was fifth edition like, grandpa?
  • It was the last edition ever to be printed on actual paper
  • The DM was an actual person
  • It was kinda purply-green
  • You were allowed to pretend to hurt people
  • Make an Intelligence(History) check and I'll tell you

It will be remembered as the edition that saved the game and brand from nearly dying from the screw-ups made at the end of the 4th edition cycle.
It will also be the first edition of D&D to have an official set of books released for play in Middle Earth when C7 releases them later this year.

Remove ads