• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What types of Saving Throws do you like?

Which Saving Throws do you like best?

• Old School

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Middle Grade

Votes: 39 47.0%
  • Modern

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other

Votes: 13 15.7%

Slit518

Adventurer
What types of Saving Throws do you like in your games?
Old School - Death; Para/Poison/Petrification; Breath; Wand/Stave/Rod, etc
Middle Grade - Fort; Reflex; Will
Modern - Ability Scores - Strength; Dexterity; Constitution; Intelligence; Wisdom; Charisma
Other - your own idea

Slit518

Adventurer
What I really prefer are attacks directed at defenses rather than saving throws a la D&D 4e, with saving throws used to end ongoing effects. Which is probably "Middle Grade" in your definition? But I'll settle for "Modern."
I barely played 4th. Folks didn't roll their saves? I thought they were similar to D&D 3.x with having 3 of them? You only rolled them to end conditions?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I voted Middle Grade because it has worked best for me so far. However, I do like Modern, but feel like the game mechanics need a little more buttoning up for it to work as well as it ought to.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Other: I think "Luck" should be an ability score like any of the others, and it exists purely for making save throws.

Did you shrug off the worst of the poison? Roll luck.
Did you dodge the fireball? Roll luck.
Did you realize the merchant was trying to charm you? Roll luck.
Did you grab the ledge at the last minute and avoid falling into the pit? Luck, luck, luck.

We don't need six different flavors of "lucky." Just roll for luck and be done with it.

Last edited:

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Other: I think "Luck" should be an ability score like any of the others, and it exists purely for making save throws.

Did you shrug off the worst of the poison? Roll luck.
Did you dodge the fireball? Roll luck.
Did you realize the merchant was trying to charm you? Roll luck.
Did you grab the ledge at the last minute and avoid falling into the pit? Luck, luck, luck.
I maximize luck as a stat in every game I can, so I'm fully onboard. I love playing characters with that trait.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm not a fan of saving throws as it seems they go against player agency. Sure, there's supposed to be some urgency, but I don't see why we can't still describe what's happening and ask them what they do...

"The floor starts to collapse beneath your feet, what do you do?" "My character tries to leap to safety" "Cool, make a dex save". or "My character tries to hold onto the rope." "Make a strength save".

Clint_L

Legend
I'm not a fan of saving throws as it seems they go against player agency. Sure, there's supposed to be some urgency, but I don't see why we can't still describe what's happening and ask them what they do...

"The floor starts to collapse beneath your feet, what do you do?" "My character tries to leap to safety" "Cool, make a dex save". or "My character tries to hold onto the rope." "Make a strength save".
I'm confused. Isn't that exactly what we do in 5e?

I'll definitely let a player swap in a different saving throw than the one normally "required" if they can make a good case. If you can convince me that charisma should definitely help you avoid a fireball, you've earned it.

aco175

Legend
If you can convince me that charisma should definitely help you avoid a fireball, you've earned it.
I would not want to go 4e attacking stat where you can attack with Int since you are a wizard and can logically predict where the goblin will be, or the bard using Cha to persuade the goblin to stand still while he swords him.

I do like 4e saves where you attack Fort and get to roll dice instead of just saying, "Roll a Con save." as a player to the DM.

Remove ads