• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E what books do you suggest for starting?

harikus

First Post
My group of friends is seriously considering dropping 3.5 permanently. (I rather not but I like my group so I go with them, i can always play with someone else). They read some of the classes in the Pathfinder Core Book at a recent Convention we all attended and were like "Why have we been playing 3.5 all this time??" What books would you guys recommend a new player and even a new GM buy to start other than the Core Book? How much has really changed from 3.5 other than the classes?

I would suggest the Advanced Player's Guide as well for the additional core classes. Other than that, you should be OK.

Note that everything, all the rules, all the spells, all the feats, all the items from every source are available on www.d20pfsrd.com.

As to what as changed... As you've noticed, classes have gotten more options, the skill list has been slightly reduced, some feats have changed (Cleave, Power Attack for example), some spells have changed, there is the addition of the Combat Maneuvre Bonus and Defense for all special combat moves (trip, disarm, bull rush, etc.). I'm sure if you google "3.5 pathfinder differences" you'll get many pages with interesting and pertinent information reguarding this subject.

AR

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
My group of friends is seriously considering dropping 3.5 permanently. (I rather not but I like my group so I go with them, i can always play with someone else). They read some of the classes in the Pathfinder Core Book at a recent Convention we all attended and were like "Why have we been playing 3.5 all this time??" What books would you guys recommend a new player and even a new GM buy to start other than the Core Book? How much has really changed from 3.5 other than the classes?
If you are kind of meh on switching, then I'd second the suggestion to pull game rules from the PRD (just use: ctrl-p, a tablet or a pc) until you decide whether or not a cash outlay is worth your while.

harikus

First Post
It does seem exciting to try something new, I just am apprehensive because I spent so much time reading stuff to learn 3.5 and I felt established. But, I like how sorcerer seems much more colorful. I also like how they fixed half elf, it seems to not suck as much. Did they carry Psionics over to Pathfinder also? And can I still be an Elan ^^

It's hard to summarize all the changes because there were so many, both large and small. They tweaked all of the classes and races, some more than others. Feats changes, some skills changed, many spells changed, and more.

My suggestion is to go to paizo.com and pick up a PDF of the Core Rulebook. That'll set you back $10 but you can look at the changes at your leisure.
The Core Rulebook and a Bestiary are all you need (and you can get by with just the Core Rulebook by relying on the aforementioned PRD).

If (and only if) the group decides to make the switch, the Advanced Player's Guide is really solid and is what differentiates Pathfinder from 3.5e. Ultimate Equipment is pretty darn handy as well.
The Gamemastery Guide is pretty good but unnecessary and while Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat contain some excellent options, you have enough content in the CRB and APG to live without them.

It does seem exciting to try something new, I just am apprehensive because I spent so much time reading stuff to learn 3.5 and I felt established.
The rules are fairly similar so it's an easy transition. You need to double check class options to see if they've changed (and it can be a pain to have to continually check if something was tweaked or stayed the same) but the base rule are fairly similar so it's not a problem.

Did they carry Psionics over to Pathfinder also? And can I still be an Elan ^^
Kinda...
Paizo doesn't want to do Psionics. Because they don't want to just publish the expected content or repeat what WotC did. However, a 3PP (Dreamscarred Press) has done an update with Psionics Unleashed. The content is also available for free on PFsrd.com. It's... okay. But could have used some fine tuning. However, they just finished a Kickstarter to re-release the content as a hardcover called Ultimate Psionic that should be in store soon and further revises the content.

I list some handbook usefull to start with pathfinder in my blog. you have to search "Cosa serve per giocare a Pathfinder" The post is in italian but the handbooks suggested are in english. I'm sorry but it seems I'm not allowed to post link...

delericho

Legend
What books would you guys recommend a new player and even a new GM buy to start other than the Core Book?

If you're experienced gamers, and especially experienced 3.5e gamers, I would recommend starting with the Pathfinder SRD to try the game a few times.

If that's not an option for any reason, I would suggest starting with the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary (the first one). As with 3.5e, it's easy enough to add more later, but even in the core there's a lot of stuff - better to start small.

For truly new players, or indeed a group looking for something lighter, I can recommend the Pathfinder Beginner Box without hesitation. It's a good one.

How much has really changed from 3.5 other than the classes?

In the core, there are a lot of tweaks to classes, spells, and magic items. There aren't too many major things, but the cumulative effect of all the small changes is very significant.

Of course, there's a lot more to Pathfinder than the core these days!

tangleknot

Explorer
I would recommend the Core book, it has everything you need. Its basically 3.5's PHB and DM's guide.

The Advanced players book is also pretty great, at this point Pathfinder started to add "kits" (well they probably aren't called kits but that's what they were called in 2nd edition) which are a great alternative to prestige classes. FYI, Some of the later "added" basic classes can seem and/or are sometimes a bit overpowered.

The bestiary is an updated version of the 3.5 monster manual, might be good to get.
On the topic of monster manuals, the NPC codex is freaking awesome. It has hundreds of pre-generated NPC's, just flip a page and your ready for battle!

The Ultimate Magic/ Ultimate Combat are fun books for more options to build characters plus some new basic classes. The Magus from Ultimate Magic is my wife's favorite class.

The Race guide and Ultimate Equipment are also nice to have but would certainly be on the bottom of my priories.
The only hardbound book I haven't purchased is the DM's guide... I just can't see myself ever using it.

Remove ads