• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What alignment is Cobra Commander - the Official Word

A tidbit that some might find interesting:

After D&D, my obsession is GI Joe. (Well, it's tied with a few others, anyway.) I was perusing the writer's guide for the Sunbow GI Joe animated series (here) from 1985-86. Lo and behold, on page 15 we find the following (bold added for emphasis):

"COBRA COMMANDER is CHAOTIC EVIL doing the job of a Lawful Evil Character. He's scary because he's completely mad.

DESTRO is Lawful Evil and very bright. Think of Darth Vader. He is infinitely more logical than C.C. Destro is scary because he knows exactly what he's doing and why."

Those alignments are spot-on for the characters, of course. Interestingly, this guide is intended for all writers of the series, including new writers. Was playing AD&D a requirement for getting the gig??

One might think it might be related to Poul Anderson or Moorcock (it would make sense for writers), but I understand they used only Law/Neutrality/Chaos, with Gygax adding the second axis. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Parlan

First Post
Those alignments are spot-on for the characters, of course. Interestingly, this guide is intended for all writers of the series, including new writers. Was playing AD&D a requirement for getting the gig??

One might think it might be related to Poul Anderson or Moorcock (it would make sense for writers), but I understand they used only Law/Neutrality/Chaos, with Gygax adding the second axis. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Wow this takes me back! I'd love to know the answer to this myself.

Anyone?

Bumbles

First Post
Well, let's see, Buzz Dixon typed it up, and Steve...wrote it...which Steve? There are two listed on IMDB. Gerber and Mitchell. I think it's Gerber since he's listed as the Supervising story editor.

You want to guess what his other credits include, or just check?

look and see

"COBRA COMMANDER is CHAOTIC EVIL doing the job of a Lawful Evil Character. He's scary because he's completely mad.

DESTRO is Lawful Evil and very bright. Think of Darth Vader. He is infinitely more logical than C.C. Destro is scary because he knows exactly what he's doing and why."

that is an awsome find...and pretty spot on too. In 4e I would make CC CE still, but Destro Unaligned...but leaning toward evil

cignus_pfaccari

First Post

Hrm. I'd've thought that the comic book version was LE all the way, what with all the infiltration and use of society's structures against it. But the cartoon, definitely agree CE.

Brad

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Cobra Commander is chaotic wang. Destro needs to shoot him in the head and take over.

He got smart, left, and formed the Iron Grenadiers. Why he didn't bring Major Bludd along, I don't know. Destro trained him, but I guess Cobra was better bankrolled.

It's not surprising that Cobra Commander is chaotic evil considering his "official" (pre Cobra-La retconn) origins story.

Cobra-La never happened in my book. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads