• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Waves of Fatigue and Exhaustion, new spells for 3.5E

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Cones

Cones with set range. Have we seen a 3.5 cone spell with the old 25+5/2 level ranges yet?

30 = 2nd-3rd level cone

60 = 14th-15th level cone

hong

WotC's bitch
There's nothing wrong with a cone with a set range. Range is different to area of effect.

Personally, I like these spells. A lot. Usually no save implies an obnoxious spell (eg blasphemy, power word X) but being fatigued or exhausted isn't a particularly deadly condition. It's much better than the fatigue spell in OA, which affects only one target, requires a touch, and grants a save. As if it wasn't wimpy enough, it's also a 4th level spell.

Murrdox

First Post
I like them, especially because as a spell school, Necromancy needs more toys.

I was thinking recently of creating a Necromancy spell that would amputate one of the target's limbs... an arm or a leg... no heads. I thought this would be a pretty nifty idea. It would do some minor damage on a save, and if the save was failed, a bit more damage, and amputate a limb of the caster's choice. If an arm, the effects are somewhat obvious. A leg would cripple the character and such. While the damage could be healed with Cure, one would have to Regenerate the limb. I was thinking this would probably be at least a level 5 spell... especially if it was a ray. Thoughts? Maybe I'll draw it up and post it later.

Benben

First Post
hong said:
It's much better than the fatigue spell in OA, which affects only one target, requires a touch, and grants a save. As if it wasn't wimpy enough, it's also a 4th level spell.

There are a couple of spells in OA that are like that: Touch attack + Save + Wimpy for Level.

I found it rather aggravating to make a Metal focused Wu Jen.

Grog

First Post
These spells seem marginally useful at best for PCs, but NPCs will be able to use them to really screw PCs over. I'm not sure I like that.

hong

WotC's bitch
Grog said:
These spells seem marginally useful at best for PCs, but NPCs will be able to use them to really screw PCs over. I'm not sure I like that.

They're only marginally useful if you habitually send the PCs up against single powerful monsters. This tends not to work well at higher levels anyway, due to the sheer magnitude of damage that high-level PCs can dish out. If you have a high-level group fighting a large mob of slightly-lower-level monsters, then these spells could be very useful.

Grog

First Post
hong said:
They're only marginally useful if you habitually send the PCs up against single powerful monsters. This tends not to work well at higher levels anyway, due to the sheer magnitude of damage that high-level PCs can dish out. If you have a high-level group fighting a large mob of slightly-lower-level monsters, then these spells could be very useful.

The problem is that spells with long-term detrimental effects are fundamentally more harmful when used on PCs than they are when used on NPCs.

If the party uses Cone of Exhaustion on some monsters, all they're really doing is giving them a penalty for the duration of the combat (since the PCs will most likely kill the monsters). If a necromancer casts the spell on the PCs in their first combat of the day, even if they kill the necromancer, they're basically screwed for the rest of the day.

It's like casting Mord.'s Disjunction on items - in most cases, not a very useful tactic for PCs to use on enemies, but something that NPCs can use against PCs to devastating effect.

hong

WotC's bitch
Grog said:

The problem is that spells with long-term detrimental effects are fundamentally more harmful when used on PCs than they are when used on NPCs.

If the party uses Cone of Exhaustion on some monsters, all they're really doing is giving them a penalty for the duration of the combat (since the PCs will most likely kill the monsters). If a necromancer casts the spell on the PCs in their first combat of the day, even if they kill the necromancer, they're basically screwed for the rest of the day.

Well, I'm assuming there'll be a spell in 3.5E to deal with fatigue and exhaustion (there's already a "remove fatigue" spell in OA, for instance). Even if there isn't, I'd allow heal to do the job.

Remove ads