• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmachine?

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Yesterday I was at my FLGS and I saw Warmachine (miniature game set in Privateer Press' Iron Kingdoms) rulesbook and some minis. The minis look superb, and the rules looked nice. I've been in their site web, I've downloaded the quick start rules, and they seem fast and fun. But before spending my hard earned Euros in it, I'd like to get some advises.

So, if you've played Warmachine, can you give me your oppinions?

Carnifex

First Post
It is very good. I've got 450 points of Cryx so far, and at my uni gamesoc there's players with Cygnar, Menoth and Khador so we've got all the factions represented. The game is very nicely balanced, very tactical (you'd never have thought that deciding where to put your focus points for the turn would be so difficult and strategic), and generally great fun :) The minis are great too.

I can give more detail if you want, but my general opinion on Warmachine is a big two thumbs up :)

I haven't played Warmachine yet, but I did pick up the rulebook last week (mostly for background info on the Iron Kindoms setting) and have given it a quick read through. I'm not a min iatures wargamer, but from what I read, I like the game. Last night I watched a couple guys at my FLGS playing, and it looks good. The miniature sculpts are EXCELLENT! Great detail, and a nice variety. If I wanted to get involved in a miniatures wargame, Warmachine is the one I'd go with at this time.

diaglo

Adventurer
the last time i played Warmachine it was out of the Companion Rules Boxed set.

i'll have to go find this to see how similar it is.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Piratecat said:
Usually I move General Discussion threads to the OT forum, not the other way around!
Hmmm, Pkitty, I thought that, as Warmachine is a minis game and it is not d20, you would prefer it in Hiveforum.
But I'm glad I'm wrong :) Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll fall and buy it.
So, if you have played,
* is gameplay fast?
* is it tactical?
* can it be played only with one of the $40 battlegrouops by side?
* an average battle, with a battlegroup by side, does it take long time?

THANKS!

Carnifex

First Post
Horacio said:
Hmmm, Pkitty, I thought that, as Warmachine is a minis game and it is not d20, you would prefer it in Hiveforum.
But I'm glad I'm wrong :) Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the comments, I think I'll fall and buy it.
So, if you have played,
* is gameplay fast?
* is it tactical?
* can it be played only with one of the $40 battlegrouops by side?
* an average battle, with a battlegroup by side, does it take long time?

THANKS!

Is gameplay fast?

Generally yes, the system is fairly simple and streamlined. The actual length of battles can vary - I've had a couple of *very* short games where my Khador opponent put his warcaster in a vulnerable position, so I took advantage of it and killed 'em off quickly, but I've had long, hard-fought and drawn-out battles against my Cygnar opponent. We usually get a few games in every Saturday afternoon at the uni gamesoc. Since Warmachine favours offensive play as opposed to passive defence, this helps keep thinks fast and flowing.

Is it tactical?

Oh hell yes. Often, deciding how to assign focus is something you really have to think carefully about, not to mention general movement, force co-ordination and attacking plans.

Can it be played only with one of the $40 battlegroups by side?

Yes, that is exactly why they sell the battlegroups; you can buy one and you're *immediately* ready to start gaming with it. Certainly, just a battle-set doesn't give you the options and fun of slightly larger forces but there's still plenty of tactics involved and its very enjoyable.

An average battle, with a battlegroup by side, does it take long time?

If you mean by an average battle with a battlegroup per side as being each person has one of the starter boxed set battlegroups, then as mentioned before, it can vary a lot. I haven't really timed the battles we've played with just the boxed sets (and now we're getting more units we're heading towards 350pt, 450pt and 500pt battles rather than just basic boxed set battles), but on average my guess is you could play a couple of games in an afternoon, possibly more or less depending...

Olive

Explorer
It's a good fun game. With just the battle boxes you could probably play 3 or 4 games in an afternoon once you've got a handle on the rules.

I've played a bit of WH40k and I much prefer this rule system to the other. I've played Menoth and Cygnar armies that belong to a friend and I've just bought and painted the Khardor battle box.

Carnifex

First Post
*a bump so Horacio sees this*

After I've gone and given some Valentines presents to my gf, I am in fact off to play Warmachine for the afternoon :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads