• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlocks and other Ranged touchers?

EvolutionKB

First Post
One thing that has me curious is how they are working eldritch blast and other ray type attacks. With a flat AC(no more touch/ff), how will they work spells and things that were formerly ranged touch? Will warlocks still have a relatively poor attack bonus and will monster AC remain close to where they are in 3.5? Having to hit a monsters "normal" AC may be difficult. Warlocks are strikers now, thus it's conceivable that they do more damage than they do in the current edition. In the current edition, the EB damage is balanced with the ability that it is easier to hit targets. It is also quite feasible that the curses that we are hearing so much about could significantly lower a target's AC. So, is increased warlock damage balanced with the fact that they may be hitting less often?

Thoughts?

jtrowell

First Post
Plus: all classes will probably have a unified base attack bonus of 1/2 total level (and maybe a small *fixed* bonus depending on the class)

Fighters will attack with Str + 1/2 level against AC
Warlock probably attacks with cha +1/2 level against AC or Reflex

That's what I think will probably be done in 4th edition

Satori

First Post
jtrowell said:
Plus: all classes will probably have a unified base attack bonus of 1/2 total level (and maybe a small *fixed* bonus depending on the class)

Fighters will attack with Str + 1/2 level against AC
Warlock probably attacks with cha +1/2 level against AC or Reflex

That's what I think will probably be done in 4th edition

This would be awesome.

I always found the idea of Wizards casting Ranged Touch Spells with Poor BAB a really stupid idea.

Wizard: "Gah! I have 97 years of experience in the arcane arts, but my hand eye coordination is still so poor that I cannot hit you with a Ray Spell!"

I like the idea of a Spell BAB, Melee BAB, and Ranged BAB.

Or spells being autohit, resist with Save.

Remove ads