• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock question

JonnyFive

First Post
no that i know it states it in the writeup on the abilites themselfs. my question is can he benifit from the feat supernatural transformation, out of Savage Species?

shilsen

Adventurer
JonnyFive said:
no that i know it states it in the writeup on the abilites themselfs. my question is can he benifit from the feat supernatural transformation, out of Savage Species?
No. The eldritch blast is a class-based SLA and not an innate (i.e. a racial one) SLA, and the Savage Species feat only affects the latter kind.

shilsen

Adventurer
JonnyFive said:
ok, what about the warlocks invocations?
Same as with the eldritch blast. You only get invocations as a result of the warlock class. Nothing derived from a class counts as "innate". Only racial abilities do.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Doesn't it say in the description of Warlocks that they are "born" Warlocks, as a result of a fiendish relationship between their ancestors or somesuch?

saucercrab

Explorer
RigaMortus2,
That sounds like flavor text, rather than mechanics/rules. Only taking levels in the warlock class will give access to any "fiendish" abilities, so they cannot be considered innate.

I agree with shilsen, that feat is for creatures with non-class-gained abilities.

Mind you, innate isn't strictly defined in D&D, but Rich Baker had stated on the Wizards boards that Supernatural Transformation is not for warlocks to use. Here's the post (until it gets pruned, so hurry): Rich Baker Says So.

Scharlata

First Post
JonnyFive said:

Hi, Jonny5!

Here's the text from the
FAQ 3.5 (2005-11-24) said:
Can a warlock qualify for the Supernatural Transformation feat (Savage Species, page 39) and change one of his invocations into a supernatural ability?
No. The warlock’s spell-like abilities are learned (from class levels), not innate (that is, part of his racial traits).

Kind regards

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads