• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Virtual Table Top

Cryndo

Explorer
So what's the latest word on Wizard's Virtual Table Top? Does anyone here run a campaign strictly on the VTT? Does anyone use it occasionally or just for one shots? How useful is the VTT? Have there been improvements since Beta?

I'm thinking of resubbing for Insider, but I really only want to do so if the VTT is fairly robust and useful.

It's still in beta as far as I know. They are planning on adding more things as they get more and more feedback from the testers. I know there are a few people on here who are actual testers, hopefully they'll be able to give you the rundown of how it's going so far and what they've heard as far as when the best testing is over.

They're adding a number of things. It depends on when you first looked at it as to what is new. You can import monsters and characters, and a number of other things have been vastly improved since the early limited beta. More updates are being made/have just been made. I haven't looked at them, but you can find a thread on the community site that lists the things updated. I know it includes a bunch more tiles and various other things.

My basic assessment is it is still limited in some ways, though it is improved and overall it is really not a bad VTT. Some other VTTs are still considerably more powerful, but the WotC one does have a good bit of value in being well set up for 4e and integrated with the rest of DDI. It is potentially a good choice depending on the group you play with.

jshaft37

Explorer
I'm running two recurring adventures at the moment.

Good: easy to find players, low barrier to entry - easy to use after about 5 minutes, ability to import characters and monsters from DDI, decent voice features.

Bad: limited tokens, maps and drawing tools. some features are clunky - no multiple selections, and i wish it had the visual capabilities that maptools has (fog of war and vision, i just think those are cool features).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Maptools I'd give a 4 out of 5.

Fantasy Grounds I'd give a 2 out of 5.

OpenRPG I'd give 1 out of 5.

Gametable I'd give 2 out of 5.

Battlegrounds I'd give 3 out of 5.

The Wizards of the Coast Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table Top I'd give...

...1 out of 5.

jbear

First Post
[MENTION=56189]Kzach[/MENTION] What would you say makes MapTools so significantly better than Fantasy Grounds? Does it have a robust 4e system? What's the learning curve like on both DM and player sides.

I'm about to start a 4e online campaign. I have FGII, and am familiar with it, so I've gotten over the rather large learning curve already on that VT. Is it really that much more worth my while to switch to Maptools?

Thanks for your insight :)

Maptool has the best vision, lighting, and FoW system of any VTT. It is very flexible and powerful in that respect.

OTOH Maptool's macro facility is pretty arcane. Making simple macros and basic tracking of character attributes is not hard, but more complex stuff is not at all straightforward. It is QUITE powerful and people have written entire macro frameworks for 4e that do a lot of cool stuff. However getting stats into the proper format, tweaking macros to deal with all the little idiosyncrasies of 4e powers and whatnot, etc is a bear. You can use something like Rumble framework, but there's a pretty good learning curve to setting up PCs and monsters the way you want them to work.

I think Maptool really IS the clearly best VTT out there, but there is a good deal to be said for the greater ease of adoption of some of the others. FGII for instance IIRC has a pretty good 4e plugin. It can't do everything Maptool can, but OTOH you can get up to speed quicker. I've only used it a very small amount though, so I am not really the best judge of that.

Another advantage of Maptool is simply that it is Java and thus you won't have all the issues with getting everyone up on it on Macs and other systems (I run Linux for instance, you simply cannot get FGII to work reliably).

jshaft37

Explorer
Too bad wizards won't just hire the maptool guys to freelance for them. If they hire freelance designers/writers, they should hire freelance developers too. If they worked with the maptool and masterplan guys to create an integrated system via DDI, i think they would see a huge boost in subscriptions.

FWIW, they just added a bunch more tiles to the VT yesterday.

Yeah, they uploaded them shortly after I spent 2 hours making a Keep out of dungeon tiles and drawing tool. :rant:

Remove ads