• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!
Vecna: Eve of Ruin

D&D 5E Vecna: Eve of Ruin Coming May 21st!

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
yes they did

do play below 10th level?

this is not a counterargument to the previous post ;)
I'm not sure I understand your point.

Lamenting that 5E doesn't possess the same sort of mechanics as earlier editions and doesn't try to emulate the feel of those editions is sort of silly considering the fan base is not the same. There is no shortage of options for playing different sorts of D&D, especially ones that try and emulate Old School play (we can argue about whether there was "a" old school style, and/or whether the style promoted by the OSR is that) but 5E isn't one of them.

OK, I just compiled a list of all the obelisk appearances in the 5e adventures I could find so far:

Princes of the Apocalypse (in the Temple of Black Earth)
Out of the Abyss (a shattered, but partially rebuilt, obelisk is in the Whorlstone Tunnels under Gracklstugh)
Storm King's Thunder (stolen by cloud giants from the town of Nightstone just before the adventure starts)
Tomb of Annihilation (outside the entrance to the Tomb of the Nine Gods)
Dungeon of the Mad Mage (In Shadowdusk Hold far down inside Undermountain)
Descent into Avernus (on Avernus, surrounded by seven smaller standing stones)
Rime of the Frostmaiden (in the fallen Netherese city of Ythryn)
Spelljammer (one of the random encounters in the Astral is a "Gargantuan floating crystal obelisk of unknown origin")
Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk (it's in the name!)

All these could be used as the 1 - 10 adventure that could then be continued into Vecna: Eve of Ruin, (other than DotMM where the obelisk is in a high-level area), presumably using the featured obelisk in some way to transition from the lower level adventure to the higher. And given that Spelljammer is featured on the covers of both the regular and alt editions, I'm guessing that that mysterious gargantuan obelisk is going to come into play. Oddly, despite Ravenloft featuring on the covers as well, I haven't found any references to an obelisk in either the adventure or campaign sourcebook.

Last edited:

Starmaster

Explorer
Could someone please explain to me why he has both his hands in the illustration. I haven't read the previously-published Vecna adventures, so did he somehow regain his eyeball and his hand and then reattach them in one of those modules? Or maybe regrow new ones somehow?

Could someone please explain to me why he has both his hands in the illustration. I haven't read the previously-published Vecna adventures, so did he somehow regain his eyeball and his hand and then reattach them in one of those modules? Or maybe regrow new ones somehow?
The left hand in the illustration isn't real - it's glowing and translucent, presumably made of some sort of magical energy.

Remove ads