• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana:Are they revealing limitations in the 5th edition system?

Corpsetaker

First Post
I'm not quoting several people so here is a list of what I would like UA to cover.

1: Racial/Class specific feats.

2: Battlemaster Maneuvers.

3: New Monster special attacks.

4: Wizards of High Sorcery: (Moon Phase Mechanics) ( I'm a Dragonlance fan).

5: More mounted combat.

6: More underwater combat.

7: More aerial combat.

8: More/Alternate uses for Channel Divinity.

9: Alternate armour rules. (Example would be DR).

10: They are game designers. How about something we've not seen before?

11: Will post more when I remember them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm not quoting several people so here is a list of what I would like UA to cover.

2: Battlemaster Maneuvers.

3: New Monster special attacks.

4: Wizards of High Sorcery: (Moon Phase Mechanics) ( I'm a Dragonlance fan).

8: More/Alternate uses for Channel Divinity.

9: Alternate armour rules. (Example would be DR).

I'm hoping we see Wizards of High Sorcery and Defilers when they hit Wizard, for sure.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Because you are one of those people I don't really bother responding to because all you are going to do is give some snarky response and never admit that you might be wrong.

There's no right or wrong...it's all opinion.

Would probably be more productive if you replied to the people who actually cited the material in the UA offerings and how they actually did introduce different mechanics.

I see that you at least did share the kinds of things you do want. I can understand a lot of them. Wouldn't provide them as examples of really pushing the envelope when it comes to design, though.

ProgBard

First Post
Because you are one of those people I don't really bother responding to because all you are going to do is give some snarky response and never admit that you might be wrong.

... Really, I just wanted to hold this up and admire it for a moment in its dazzling perfection.

Chaosmancer

Legend

I'm always torn about this. On one hand, cool racial feats feel awesome, and help make sure your tiefling or elf is a really awesome tiefling or elf. Showing them as a true paragon of their race that does things no other race can really emulate.

On the other hand, it could potentially make powerful combos more powerful (Half-Orc Barbarians now get XYZ that makes them better at being barbarians than any dwarf barbarian?) and quite a few people pick race for aesthetic and mechanics later, and locking people out of interesting abilities because they don't have the right blood is always something I'm a little leery of.

Aren't these a little tricky? I admit we have a small chicken and egg problem, but I've never even attempted to run, nor have any of my players had interest in mounted or underwater combat. It could be because there just aren't enough fun and interesting rules for it, but it seems to be one of those sections of rules that is difficult to do well without making them more complicated, and they will probably never see as much usage as normal ground combat rules.

"Name me a color that doesn't exist", forget the poet's name but it went something like that. We've seen a lot, if you've read and gamed as much as I have (and I bet you've easily got at least two decades on my measly amount of experience) then you have seen a lot of mechanics and a hundred times as many themes and ideas.

Coming up with something never before seen is going to be a tough bar to beat, especially when there are things we've seen before that we'd like to see here.

Somethings from my own list

More comprehensive crafting rules, making use of proficiency and giving us some ideas for unique, fantasy materials and ingredients that can be used in this new subsystem. Which herbs do you need to make a healing potion? Where do the grow? I'd settle for a lot less, because it would essentially be almost an entire book on it's own, but tool proficiencies seem like they want to be important and they just aren't so I'd love some work in that area.

Titles and "prestige classes". Watching the Running the Game videos by Matt Colville has really got me hankering for some mechanics for what happens when you earn a title, which literary characters do quite a bit, and I always have my players looking for new powers and abilties granted to them by legendary figures (at least one of them is just powergaming, because his way of dealing is "Hey, can you give me this cool thing because I'm awesome" but I digress). What would happen if you become the Champion of the Winter Court? The King's Champion? I can make stuff up, and am planning to, but getting some official versions of this could be kind of cool, mechanical rewards for good story.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm always torn about this. On one hand, cool racial feats feel awesome, and help make sure your tiefling or elf is a really awesome tiefling or elf. Showing them as a true paragon of their race that does things no other race can really emulate.

On the other hand, it could potentially make powerful combos more powerful (Half-Orc Barbarians now get XYZ that makes them better at being barbarians than any dwarf barbarian?) and quite a few people pick race for aesthetic and mechanics later, and locking people out of interesting abilities because they don't have the right blood is always something I'm a little leery of.

Aren't these a little tricky? I admit we have a small chicken and egg problem, but I've never even attempted to run, nor have any of my players had interest in mounted or underwater combat. It could be because there just aren't enough fun and interesting rules for it, but it seems to be one of those sections of rules that is difficult to do well without making them more complicated, and they will probably never see as much usage as normal ground combat rules.

"Name me a color that doesn't exist", forget the poet's name but it went something like that. We've seen a lot, if you've read and gamed as much as I have (and I bet you've easily got at least two decades on my measly amount of experience) then you have seen a lot of mechanics and a hundred times as many themes and ideas.

Coming up with something never before seen is going to be a tough bar to beat, especially when there are things we've seen before that we'd like to see here.

Somethings from my own list

More comprehensive crafting rules, making use of proficiency and giving us some ideas for unique, fantasy materials and ingredients that can be used in this new subsystem. Which herbs do you need to make a healing potion? Where do the grow? I'd settle for a lot less, because it would essentially be almost an entire book on it's own, but tool proficiencies seem like they want to be important and they just aren't so I'd love some work in that area.

Titles and "prestige classes". Watching the Running the Game videos by Matt Colville has really got me hankering for some mechanics for what happens when you earn a title, which literary characters do quite a bit, and I always have my players looking for new powers and abilties granted to them by legendary figures (at least one of them is just powergaming, because his way of dealing is "Hey, can you give me this cool thing because I'm awesome" but I digress). What would happen if you become the Champion of the Winter Court? The King's Champion? I can make stuff up, and am planning to, but getting some official versions of this could be kind of cool, mechanical rewards for good story.

@ nearls has talked about stuff he is working on in Twitter, and alternate downtime, crafting and such is in the works, for sure.

Prestige classes were shot down by the surveys when they floated that trial balloon; bit more stuff on factions seems likely.

I would be for racial class feats if they were for nontraditional ones. The half orc (or even the orc) doesn't need a feat to be a good barbarian, but a feat that made one a good wizard would be worthwhile. Gnome barbarian for the win.

Unless they have 5 new classes they have never hinted at, the current run of class based UA's will probably be done in February.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads