• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undine the Sea

covaithe

Explorer
"Oh, yes. Let's all just do nothing. That's a fantastic idea. Maybe the great evil will just go away in the face of our heroic inactivity. And my name is Gaius Corvinus, you..." Corvinus clamps his jaw shut on the rest of that sentence with a visible effort and turns away from the proceedings. He feels that right now, inactivity requires a heroic effort indeed.

ooc: Corvinus is in no position to point this out at the moment, but with reasonable NPCs it would be arguable that we didn't lie: I checked, and all we said to the priests before they attacked was that we wanted to visit Amalthea (true) to learn things from them (true -- the location of the shard, if nothing else) and increase friendship and diplomatic ties (I see no reason why this can't be true. Certainly it's one of our goals that they cooperate willingly). I begin to question how reasonable these priestesses are, though.

Ximix

First Post
covaithe said:
ooc: Corvinus is in no position to point this out at the moment, but with reasonable NPCs it would be arguable that we didn't lie: I checked, and all we said to the priests before they attacked was that we wanted to visit Amalthea (true) to learn things from them (true -- the location of the shard, if nothing else) and increase friendship and diplomatic ties (I see no reason why this can't be true. Certainly it's one of our goals that they cooperate willingly). I begin to question how reasonable these priestesses are, though.
[sblock=warning, frustrated player OOC: ]I don't want to get into more trouble, but this is Exactly what I have been feeling. Realistically, if we weren't so heavily out-gunned, we'd have gone into combat long ago.
This group has been treated as hostiles by a "good" church from the word go with NO Provocation other than outside intel which WAS NOT backed up by their own divinations and our group NEVER LIED to or Provoked any of this! Without the powerful clerics to back them up, any other group trying to pull this sham on our pc's would have been attacked as enemies.
Since they Do have powerful casters (and hasted triple action per round flunkies) we're just along for the ride.
P.S. - 5 pages and over a month RL and we've had a few convoluted conversations in which we've been called liars to our faces... ...deleted... [/sblock]

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Heckler said:
"What information do you require?"
"We need to hear the full truth. It seems to me that both you and the elves have been playing us for fools with vague half-truths. Frankly, I think what Rivenblight did was worse, but I will have to save my final judgment for after I hear your full story."

"What Riv--"

"Peace, Astraia. We will make our decision, if such we can do, only after we hear all the facts. As elves, you and I should both know that the advantages of our longevity and learning have made our race sadly capable of great arrogance and thickheadedness. This could just be some elf refusing to back down to a human."

(OOC: @Corvin-te, I figured his name would follow Latin conjugation rules, in which case the last name changes slightly when you are addressing that person. For -ius, you drop the 'us' and for -us it becomes -te. E.g. "Et tu Brute?")

Last edited:

Dargon

First Post
"We have deceived no one nor have we lied." Nura addresses the rest of he companions "as long that is an opinion I do not believe it wise to give them the required information. someone so eager to see the wrongness in our beings is not to be trusted, even if not doing it might lead to a dead end of our task, I will not deny that that my own wounded pried is clouding my judgment but I will not ignore anymore insults to my character from any of them, I will risk my life for the sake of you folks and a good course but I am afraid that if this goes on I might cause more damage then good." on the surface she seems calm but her eyes is speaking of a hidden rage

Last edited:

Heckler

First Post
"While we may not have told any boldfaced lies, we have lied by omission, and, to a degree, misrepresented ourselves. I think that is what they are driving at," Babette says to her companions.

Rystil Arden said:
"Peace, Astraia. We will make our decision, if such we can do, only after we hear all the facts. As elves, you and I should both know that the advantages of our longevity and learning have made our race sadly capable of great arrogance and thickheadedness. This could just be some elf refusing to back down to a human."
"Actually, that would be another half-truth, if you'll excuse my poor attempt at humor. It involves an elf and a half-elf. Let me go back and start at the beginning..."

[I really don't feel like going back and finding all the names and details, so if it'll suffice, Babette will tell the whole truth (as she knows it) starting with the half-elf showing up at Tenybryn's party, the half-elf's vision(?), the nations involved, the concerns of Rivenblight and the elf-hating nation, how the elf-hating nation is working with us anyway, how the Sage is an arrogant, condescending, bigoted jackass (Babette uses prettier words :) ), his threats to actively oppose us, the Dracolich, the cult and the shards.

Babette will NOT reveal any information about the other groups, except to say only that they exist.]

...and so we were advised to conceal the nature of our mission, out of concern for your safety. Does that answer your questions?"

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
"That is...quite a tale."

"It is clear, then, that if true, we must certainly take action."

"But only if true. And despite these people's 'claims' about Sage Thiliaerin, the elves of Rivenblight were polite, kind, and helpful when they came to speak to us, and these people have been conscending and rude. At the least, clearly, before we even consider what they say, they must make an apology for their words and tone."

"No."

"No? Your Holiness?"

"No. It doesn't matter who is being more polite. It only matters what is the right thing to do. If their story is true and their mission is necessary, it doesn't matter if they were former poachers who murdered innocent animals and spent their entire stay here insulting our ways--you do not have to like it, but it is our duty to the Goddess to do what is right."

"Why don't we send our own group to do it then, if this tall tale turns out to be true?"

"No. If their story is true, then there are ruthless and evil people out there who will undoubtably attack such an envoy, and we are not prepared to fight. I will not have Galatea's daughters slaughtered when there are others who can better brave the task."

"I still cannot reconcile my visions, but it will be necessary to determine the truth of the matter."

"It would be easy for everyone to be telling the truth on both sides--if this Lichwyrm thing is the truth, then the elves would also say that helping these people will lead to a great evil, since they think that recovering these shard things is foolhardy."

"How are we to decide? It isn't just a matter of fact, then. We have to decide who is right about what will happen."

"We must discuss. It seems that you have told us the entire matter this time, so since at least several of you obviously would seem to prefer to keep your own company, we will discuss in private. Please, if you have anything else to tell us, do so now."

*After the group makes any desired final remarks (or anyone petitions to stay), they are led out of the chamber. They are free to return to their room or to go elsewhere in the temple as desired.*

Heckler

First Post
ooc: I generally don't like speaking for the whole group, but in the interests of moving things along...

Given that we're all pretty PO'd right now, and might say something "not very nice," I think the whole party would agree to take a walk right now and let the council discuss things on their own. (Speak up if I'm wrong guys.) The only thing I think we might do in the meantime is ask around and see if anybody can identify what's in the stash Jallembo got from Jungle Girl.

Remove ads