• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Undermountain maps - yeck!!

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I am sorely disappointed in the Undermountain maps.

I mean, seriously, these are just really worse than mediocre. This looks like third-party crap. WotC has access to loads of resources and graphic designers. Usually their production values are very high. Why do these maps look like crap?

I was really, really looking forward to this book, but I think these amateur maps have just changed my mind. I mean, really, why in the hell would they draw Waterdeep with giant crayons sticking out of it? This is just totally subpar. :(

Imruphel

First Post
Third-party crap?

Ed Bourelle of Skeleton Key Games does a lot of the "third-party crap" and I think most people here would agree that he is one of the best mappers in the business.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Heh... I personally believe that there's a "crap bin" which unfortunately has alot of pre-bust third-party products within it.

I think he was refuring to that bin.

Jupp

Explorer
The really annoying thing about the map is that the walls overlap the grid. That makes it much harder to instantly get the size of the moon. I understand that this should give a certain level of depht to the map but at the same time it lowers the usability quite a bit. I just hope the real maps are going to be fixed.

Friendless

First Post
Vigwyn the Unruly said:
Why do these maps look like crap?

The Map-a-Week stuff often looks like crap. To exacerbate matters they publish them at 72dpi so even the non-crap ones can only be used for postage stamps.

Psimancer

First Post
Friendless said:
The Map-a-Week stuff often looks like crap. To exacerbate matters they publish them at 72dpi so even the non-crap ones can only be used for postage stamps.
It's not the dpi at which they were published in this case - it's the low resolution at which they were created (due in part to the size of the map) - it shows up every fault.

Virtually no effort has been made with these maps; I'm guessing the two major filters used here were a bevel & a drop shadow.

Remove ads