• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E U1 Secret of Saltmarsh: Thoughts?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For whatever reason, in all the years I've played this game I've never gone through U1 either as player or DM. However, as I've just started a 1st-level group within my campaign, I'm thinking of running it soon; but on reading it through the other night I found myself rather underwhelmed.

So, for those of you who have played or DMed (or both!) this adventure, I'm really hoping you can tell me it plays better than it reads!

So, thoughts? What worked? What didn't? What did you find needed fixing? (ignore any backstory bits as I'll be tweaking all that to suit existing elements within my setting e.g. the PCs will probably be there looking for evidence of arms-running up front rather than stumbling on to it during play, that sort of thing)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Halloween Cartoon GIF by Scooby-Doo

auburn2

Adventurer
I DMed it in the 1980s and DMed it as one of the last 1E adventures I played around 2015 or so.

It is one of the best modules I ever did in 1E and I was DM for more than 40 modules. It is the best low-level module I did bar none.

It will be difficult for a small group of 1st-level characters. I would run it at 2nd or 3rd level or use an 8-person group.

It is a great hook if you figure out how to fit it in your campaign. In my last game the house itself belonged to an upper middle class noble who died and had no close relatives but the noble had not been there in years. One of the PCs was a distant relation to this guy and technically the next of kin. PCs finds out by telegram that he now owns this house on the outskirts of a town, then he travels to the town to check it out and find out it is "haunted" etc.

I have played U1 many times. So far, the stumbling upon the smugglers have always worked out. The best intro that worked out every single times is to have a player inherit the house. I make sure that the players are far away, that they remember "fondly" of their old uncle and that he was an alchemist of some sort.

As the players get into town they are directed to the lawyer of their uncle that will tell them that much of the inheritance was spend into finding the player and all that is left is the house and its content.

I make sure that the lawyer warns them that the house is reputed to be haunted and that they should drop the matter completely (this usually push the player into wanting the house or at least investigate it). To make matters even more suspicious, the lawyer even offers 200 gp for the haunted house as an incentive to not take the house...

This usually put the players into "something's fishy" mode and they investigate the house thoroughly. The lawyer is in league with the smugglers (of course).

This approach have worked out numerous times.

Stormonu

Legend
U1 is best with a group who is just learning D&D, an experienced group will make mincemeat of the 1st part of the adventure.

If anything, for experienced groups it lacks anything supernatural - not necessarily in undead, but all the opponents are basically ordinary animals or humans. It could do with some "spicing up" - throwing in some off-the wall monstrosities or such changes the tone dramatically.

Likewise,
Ned is a problem, a typical "gotcha" on the common cliche of someone joining or attempting to fool the party to destroy it from within. The adventure works a lot better without him at all.

Also, if you run U2
while it has a twist that makes for some interesting diplomacy, it's one of those modules that can easily be done and finished in about 10 minutes if the party is on its toes. That happened to my group and I had to stretch to get much use out it after the 1st encounter in the lizardfolk's lair.

It is curious, isn’t it, that U1 seems to ignore/defy/break a lot of common wisdom about adventure design.

And yet somehow it was (and is) a ton of fun.
Because of

I think one factor that makes it good for new players is it doesn't draw on GenericFantasyland tropes. So if your player has never read LotR and doesn't know an elf from a goblin they will still be able to get into the story.

Last edited:

Musing Mage

Pondering D&D stuff
I have run U1 several times for different groups. U2 only twice, and never completed the trilogy as DM. (Though as player, the DM who first put me through it ran all three and we made it to the final Enemy and died)

I think it's a great series but for me the key is the setting. Create Saltmarsh as a living setting to set the stories in, and pepper other adventures aside from the haunted house and the Sea Ghost. Let them work up to the House and the smugglers, rather than just throwing them at it.

Once they've been in the town a while, and grow attached to the charming and compelling NPCs you will create, there are more stakes when the sahuagin threat rears up.

Such is my take on it. I hope you and your players have fun!

Remove ads