• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tom Moldvay's document about 3e

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The Challenges Game System sounds neat. Apparently an 8-10 page alternate version of AD&D/house rules. But it seems like it's from '86, so it wouldn't be a response to 3E at all.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
The Challenges Game System. I always get it wrong at first reencounter. I also just learned that there was an adventure called Seren Ironhand. I think I need to find that, and this “response” to 3e

Edit to add, I meant his essay response to 3e, not that this game was a response to 3e. See the tittle of the thread and it’s topic if you’re still confused.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
The Challenges Game System. I always get it wrong at first reencounter. I also just learned that there was an adventure called Seren Ironhand. I think I need to find that, and this “response” to 3e

From Dragonsfoot forum
Grodog » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:41 am
Challenges is definitely a 1e lite system, and CH-2 Seren Ironhand uses the Challenges AD&D-compatible stats in its stat blocks. The unpublished CH-1 The Morandir Company uses what seems to be an earlier form of the Challenges system, while CH-3 The Mountain King seems to be straight AD&D stats. Tom wrote at least two other adventures for the Challenges system that remain unpublished, but I don't have copies of either. The Future King adventure also seems to be Challenges-ish in nature, but is even more streamlined (although some elements align between the two, it's really a distinct system).

aia_2

Custom title
That is the moldvay's response to ad&d... It was too early for 3e!

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Are you sure it was Moldvay? Moldvay is one of the early D&D creators that I don't remember having much of an online presence at all.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Assuming Mrs. Wednesday is an adult Christina Ricci, it think that's a coveted role for in nerd-dom.
I think Mr. Wednesday is the pseudonym of Odin in the novel American Gods by Neil Gaiman. They also made a TV series from it.

But I like the way you think. ;)

I think Mr. Wednesday is the pseudonym of Odin in the novel American Gods by Neil Gaiman. They also made a TV series from it.

But I like the way you think. ;)
Yes it is. I suspect we all got the reference, so I did not feel the need to show I was in on that joke, but instead made another one.
Are you sure it was Moldvay? Moldvay is one of the early D&D creators that I don't remember having much of an online presence at all.
I don't think it was actually was originally online. I think it was just something he developed (in 1986, so really unlikely to been online) that has been passed around online. I'm not finding where or how it might have been published, only that it supposedly was (a zine maybe? It's too long for most magazine articles, too short for a book).

Remove ads