• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tom Moldvay's document about 3e

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I don't think it was actually was originally online. I think it was just something he developed (in 1986, so really unlikely to been online) that has been passed around online. I'm not finding where or how it might have been published, only that it supposedly was (a zine maybe? It's too long for most magazine articles, too short for a book).
I didn't mean in regards to the Challenge System - that was his D&D simplification attempt back in the 80s that I wish I had a copy of. (Honestly I wish both that and his Lords of Creation were available for sale as PDFs both for historical relevance and to actually have a wider audience for - the fact that he was kind of OSRing D&D before it was even in it's 2nd edition is an interesting case study I think - but that's another story).

I meant some kind of sarcastic response to D&D 3e - I'm wondering if the OP might be thinking of someone else associated with early D&D rather than Moldvay penning a sarcastic response to D&D 3e. There are a few people I can think of who would have been online during the 3e rollout/heyday and also would have had the personality to pen a sarcastic response to it, but Moldvay isn't one of them.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
b
Yup, I mistyped.

What I meant was I wanted to see his specific essay response to 3e. Not that this game was a response to 3e.

I don't think it was actually was originally online. I think it was just something he developed (in 1986, so really unlikely to been online) that has been passed around online. I'm not finding where or how it might have been published, only that it supposedly was (a zine maybe? It's too long for most magazine articles, too short for a book).
I think the threads have gotten crossed.

Two different things are being talked about in this thread.

1. Something, an essay or article or perhaps blog post, Tom Moldvay (or possibly someone else) may have written in reaction to 3rd edition.
2. The Challenges Game System, which Moldvay wrote in 1986, and is basically a simplified 1st edition variant.

We have ascertained the existence of TCGS [2], but not of the essay [1].

I think the threads have gotten crossed.
Two different things are being talked about in this thread.
1. Something, an essay or article or perhaps blog post, Tom Moldvay (or possibly someone else) may have written in reaction to 3rd edition.
2. The Challenges Game System, which Moldvay wrote in 1986, and is basically a simplified 1st edition variant.
We have ascertained the existence of TCGS [2], but not of the essay [1].
Right, gotcha.
Yes, full agree with Jer -- I know of no time, way, or format in which Moldvay (or Holmes, Cook, Marsh, or Allston) interacted significantly with the D&D community post 3e, excepting some of them attending various conventions.

Remove ads