• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time zone problems with recruiting

The Digger

First Post
I've noticed a possible (and I stress possible!) hitch with game recruiting on Enworld.

A number of games seem to accept the first applicants who apply.

The problem as I see it is, if the GM is in the USA then the game is full before we in the UK get a chance to apply. If the game starts in Europe the reverse often applies also.

From a purely personal point of view it looks to me as if many of the GMs on the site live in the USA and does this not impact unfairly on players further East?

Can I suggest that in future GMs - as they do on some other sites and occasionally here on Enworld - do not close recruiting until some of us further away players have a chance to apply?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I'm new but have noticed a couple GM's running two of the same game possibly because they got alot of feedback.

But I agree with Digger that recuriting might be better with a couple adjustments (just don't ask me what). I will for the future not make mine first come first serve but adopt a different approach.

HM

Rhun

First Post
Many GMs here actually pick their PCs based on character builds and party needs as opposed to first come first server. Of course, the truth is, those games that take first come first serve players don't necessarily favor time zones, but favor those posters that are online all the time at random hours. If you only check the boards once per day, you're going to be at a disadvantage regardless of your time zone.

Thanee

First Post
When I recruited for my campaign here, I rolled randomly between the 20 (at the time I stopped the recruitment prematurely ;)) applicants. :)

Bye
Thanee

Rhun

First Post
When I recruited for my campaign here, I rolled randomly between the 20 (at the time I stopped the recruitment prematurely ;)) applicants. :)

And when I started my Temple of Elemental Evil games I ran two games, so I could take all 18 applicants. :) Thankfully, I'm down to 5-6 players per game, which is about my preferred maximum.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I know there already is a looking for a game in the top sticky but it also has where DM's can posts and it moves the pages along maybe a looking for game to get into sticky so DM could watch to see whose out to play what they want to play and not worry about the posts getting passed over do to games being posted? Time Zones would play no factor in that.

HM

Arkhandus

First Post
Huh. I've known most of the GMs here that I've played under have recruited for days or a few weeks before closing recruitment, and the choice of players typically had more to do with who was actually responsive and active when the GM started finalizing the roster and asking for character sheets. Many folks post interest but then say nothing more for several days, so GMs assume they either changed their mind or are too busy to actually participate.

Rhun

First Post
Another way to have a better shot at getting into games...submit a relatively normal concepts. I know some people like to see just how crazy of builds they can come up with, but a lot of DMs just don't like crazy builds. And watch what else has been submitted. If three people are saying they want to play fighters, and you throw out that you want to be a fighter, you probably won't get into the game.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
i notice those games that are open to classes and races get the most respondes and thise that are limited (like mine) get the least but I start out limited and later let the charcaters evolue If it works for the concept Then i aill usually allow it but people aren't interested at first because they think it is a limited game

So if your in Europe and your interest in a game is low you might not get into as mny games as someone for two reasons

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Huh. I've known most of the GMs here that I've played under have recruited for days or a few weeks before closing recruitment, and the choice of players typically had more to do with who was actually responsive and active when the GM started finalizing the roster and asking for character sheets. Many folks post interest but then say nothing more for several days, so GMs assume they either changed their mind or are too busy to actually participate.
Another way to have a better shot at getting into games...submit a relatively normal concepts. I know some people like to see just how crazy of builds they can come up with, but a lot of DMs just don't like crazy builds. And watch what else has been submitted. If three people are saying they want to play fighters, and you throw out that you want to be a fighter, you probably won't get into the game.
++ on both of these.

The one game I'm running didn't have first come, first served. It was a combination of (from least to most important)
- What tickled my fancy
- What roles worked best together/what did we need
- Demonstration of interest and dedication
The last one is the most important. More games die because players/DM disappear than any other cause, so its very important to me to minimize that.

Most of the time when I want in a game, I see what hasn't been proposed and then see if something interesting I want to play can fit that. There are a few cases where the a concept jumps out first and there are already matches, but those are fewer.

So, there are some 'first-come, first-served' game, but those are doing everyone a disservice in my mind. I see it my in the Living games, which is why its a good idea to PM/post to the DM before the game recruits if possible (i.e., in the 'Upcoming Adventures' thread both LEB and L4W have).

Remove ads