• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E These just gave me the weirdest idea. [Character Deck]

So, I I hear that TSR apparently put out Trading Cards for D&D and they gave me an odd idea: a Character Deck.

https://www.tradingcarddb.com/Checklist.cfm/sid/81172

You see those cards that are basically trading-card-sized character sheets with pre-made artwork (of questionable quality) on them? And the cards that are just stat-blocks for big-name NPCs and Legendary Items? What if you took that idea and ran with it? You pick a card with the class/race/sex combo art you like and slowly build up a deck of items, spells, and allies over the course of a campaign? Hell, Gale Force Nine already makes Spell Cards as a reference tool, why not have item cards and monster cards as well (Edit: those are now a thing and they are awesome!)? It would give artistically-challenged players a way to help visualize their characters, it would give folks who get a bit overwhelmed by the scope of the game a potentially more straight-forward way to organize their inventory and/or spellbook, and the more chronically-lazy wouldn't have to write as much.

I bet someone has thought of this concept before, but I felt like this idea need to be written down and shared. And if not: Please credit me for the concept, if you use it.

Last edited:

happyhermit

Adventurer
I have found the spell cards very useful, homemade item cards are a thing, there are templates and such on this forum IIRC. I would love to be able to buy some high quality monster cards for the MM, especially if they were dry-eraseable like the GF9 cards and had some spaces for bookkeeping.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
[HI][/HI]You know how people who play trading card games put their cards in binders with those divided sheets for display? Well, I’ve done that with the Gale Force 9 Spell cards. I have a binder for each spellcasting class to serve as spellbooks for players at my table. I would go nuts for monster cards of the same quality to put into a binder and serve as a monster manual. And I’d even buy an extra set just so I could put some into my Druid spellbook binder. I’d appreciate item cards too, but that would be a lower priority.

Li Shenron

Legend
Not exactly the same, but a couple of years ago I have setup a project for action cards or "activity cards" to represent abilities beyond spells, basically every action your character can take and every item your character can use.

The purpose of that idea was actually to help players remember what are their options, mainly in combat, as well as to highlight the different kind of action required. Since the number of possible things to do / objects to use is very large, the plan was to print the cards on a need basis, and skipping many which aren't going to be used much (e.g. no need for each character to really have a card for every single possible action in combat if they aren't going to use them anyway). Weapons and magic items cards were going to be handed to the player during the game, when the characters find treasure.

But my idea is strictly for the characters, so no monster cards. Although, on the DM side I could do pretty much the same and create cards with the monsters' attacks and other abilities...

Remove ads