• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV The two D&D movie prequel novels are out.

Sacrosanct

Legend
You people have had them for more than fifteen minutes and you haven't posted reviews of them? Geez, what kind of rabid superfans are you? :p
So far I'm 50 pages into the junior novelization. It's...not good. It's not written for teens or younger readers because it uses more advanced vocabulary for older readers, but the sentence structure is like it's for beginning child readers. The flow is bad, and it doesn't transition very well. It's not very evocative at all, either.

So far I'm 50 pages into the junior novelization. It's...not good. It's not written for teens or younger readers because it uses more advanced vocabulary for older readers, but the sentence structure is like it's for beginning child readers. The flow is bad, and it doesn't transition very well. It's not very evocative at all, either.
The actual movie plot from the novelization seems decent however

Read to Neverwinter is a pretty fun book at roughly the 50% mark.

Birmy

Adventurer
I will almost certainly pick these up, despite being MANY years past "YA." The "junior novelization" also comes in a less-deluxe paperback version (i.e. no color photo section). It looks like my local Barnes and Nobles are only carrying the paperback.

I already have the comic prequel on pre-order (from my comic shop, natch), as well as the Art and Making of... book. My hope is to put it on the bookshelf next to the making-of book for the 2000 film and have that be the only thing the two movies have in common (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

M_Natas

Hero
So far I really like the Prequel-Novel, Road to Neverwinter. I'm only 15% in but like it so far very much. I think it is quite brave in the way it starts. So far there are no fights at all and more about family. I like it.
Before I read the Spelljammer Novels and in comparison the Quality of the Movie-Tie-In-Novel is much higher. That raises the hopes for the Movie for me :).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm a little disappointed given that they have one written by a Johnson and one written by a Johnston, that they other two upcoming books in the series aren't written by a Jonson, a Jensen, a Johanson, or a Jones.
Yeah... you'd think that a Faerun book would at least have something from a Jan Jansen. :D

jan.jpg

Dire Bare

Legend
So far I really like the Prequel-Novel, Road to Neverwinter. I'm only 15% in but like it so far very much. I think it is quite brave in the way it starts. So far there are no fights at all and more about family. I like it.
Before I read the Spelljammer Novels and in comparison the Quality of the Movie-Tie-In-Novel is much higher. That raises the hopes for the Movie for me :).
Same here, just started reading this last night. I agree, starting out with Edgin's relationship with Kolga, and then later Forge, is a nice low-key start.

It's been a while since I've read a Realms novel that didn't star Drizzt, so this is a nice callback to when these novels came out monthly . . . .

The author, Jaleigh Johnson, is a practiced Realms scribe. This will be her sixth Realms novel for Wizards. I've enjoyed her previous stories in the Realms.

I read both novels between last night and today, my cat had to be put down to day so I wanted a distraction so I wouldn't spend the whole say crying.

Both prequel novels were great novels, very different from a lot of FR novels (but not all), character development over action (although there was plenty of that too later on). Really, really likeable characters that are super relatible. A lot of heart.

Also compared to a lot of FR novels low level, not super low just by compareson, more personal story over Realms shaking events, I think they are saving the RSE for the movie.

Also the story feels very diverse when it comes to D&D races/species.

I even found myself liking Forge Fitzwilliam.

The Paladin is not in the novels sadly.

I didn't read the novelization if the movie because I don't want the plot ruined.

Remove ads