• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Non Combatant Prince(ss) or How to Abuse a Warlord

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Actually ... the idea is to explore ways to create fully contributing non-combatants

Princess Verdicia, level 1
Half-Elf, Warlord
Commanding Presence: Inspiring Presence
Noble Scion Benefit: Religion
Background: Noble Scion (Noble Scion Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 16 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 15
HP: 25 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, History +8, Diplomacy +11, Heal +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -2, Arcana +3, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance, Insight +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +1, Perception +1, Stealth -2, Streetwise +4, Thievery -2, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Inspiring Aid

POWERS
Dilettante: Cutting Words
Warlord at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Warlord at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord encounter 1: Provocative Order
Warlord daily 1: Lead by Example

Her at wills and encounter powers should be skinned variously....

Running to hide behind her ally (steps back out afterward) and thereby leading the enemy in to her allies blade
Screaming in Fright or Getting horrified look on her face which warns an ally of an attacker who then gets an unexpected opening out of turn.

Her cutting words are boosted by magical force as much because she was raised by fey as anything else.
picture a close up of her mouth as she harranges somebody if the attack is defeats the enemy they feint. or flee in horror depending on ones sense of humor.

Her inspiring aid is her talking about something completelly different than the subject at hand and that reminding the target of something very significant.

The lead by example is actually better if it misses and ;-p since its strength based in some ways it becomes quickly less possible to be non-combatant (low strength and effective without taking a very narrow path). My next shot is going to be a hybrid Warlord Bard ... I probably put irrational levels of charisma in this one anyway ;-) .

I think the Warlords at-wills skin so nicely that I am thinking to use hybrid warlords for all demi or virtually non combatant characters ;-p

Your magic user from yester year who used to hide behind the paladin because it was stupid to do otherwise can now do it again... but contribute in the process of doing so ;p

Last edited:

eriktheguy

First Post
I'm surprised you chose warlord for non-combatant support. Many of their powers rely on hitting to deal damage. I would have gone for a cleric or bard myself. Bard's can be 'flavored' as non-combat especially well. Their attacks deal damage through hurtful words and demoralization.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm surprised you chose warlord for non-combatant support. Many of their powers rely on hitting to deal damage. I would have gone for a cleric or bard myself. Bard's can be 'flavored' as non-combat especially well. Their attacks deal damage through hurtful words and demoralization.

I invite a details on your concept my second idea is coming

Bardic Demoralization is sort of the Voiciferous Harpy Princess... or is it Fiona Blowing up a Bird... ;p and it is definitely on the list... actually I am finding all leaders worthwhile... the Warlord is my first take and I notice not as useful at higher levels though its utils and some of its feats are still very sweet.

The Two at wills ... for the Warlord work very nearly perfectly... with nothing in the Bard Repertoire or Cleric Repertoire, to match them. Hell I would be happy if we had a cross class version of those ;-)

Lets see how this hybrid here works.

Princess Aviona, level 6
Half-Elf, Warlord|Bard
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Will
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Inspiring Presence (Hybrid)
Noble Scion Benefit: Religion
Background: Noble Scion (Noble Scion Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 8, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 50 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
Diplomacy +14, Insight +11, Perception +9, Arcana +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Bluff +8, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +4, Heal +5, History +7, Intimidate +8, Nature +5, Religion +9, Stealth +2, Streetwise +8, Thievery +2, Athletics +3

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Inspiring Aid
Level 4: Arkhosian high Style
Level 6: Emboldening Presence

POWERS
Dilettante: Astral Seal
Hybrid at-will 1: Cutting Words
Hybrid at-will 1: Commander's Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Provocative Order
Hybrid daily 1: Echoes of the Guardian
Hybrid utility 2: Hasty Alert
Hybrid encounter 3: Fast Friends
Hybrid daily 5: A Rock and a Hard Place
Hybrid utility 6: Haggle

Her astral seal looks like her crying in distress and pointing at the subject.
But most of the time she is dodging behind an ally or balling the enemy out with cutting words.
Fast friends is a harmless little old me stance ..you wouldnt hit a girl would you.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A hybrid warlord|shaman can actually get close to never making an attack roll. (It's referred to as the "lazy warlord".)

Post if if you got it... I am wanting to compile Archetypes along with actual builds ...

The Wonder Child (with race as hafling or gnome certainly... and some magical/clerical as the second).

The golden One pacificist healer (isnt that one too easy)... anyone have a favorite build ;p?

When I built Frodo I made him a demi-combatant by hybriding warlord and rogue... I picked things like underhanded tactics to nerf his roguish damage boost, didnt want him feeling that nasty.

keterys

First Post
There are several warlord daily powers that have Effects that matter more than the hit, or that are actually just as good (or better) on a Miss (like they give allies attacks, allies who might have bonuses)

Could do a hybrid cleric/warlord, also.

circadianwolf

First Post
It's not in any way optimal, but:

Warlord|Shaman/Everflame Guardian/[Epic Destiny], Level 30

Relevant Feats

• Divine Secretkeeper (Invoker Multiclass)
  • Novice Power
  • Adept Power
  • Reserve Maneuver (Swap out the PP's encounter attack 11 for a lower-level power from the next list.)
Powers

• At-Will: Claws of the Eagle (Shaman)
  • At-Will: Commander's Strike (Warlord) OR Direct the Strike (Warlord)
  • Encounter 1: Powerful Warning (Warlord) or Provocative Order (Warlord)
  • Daily 1: Great Watcher Spirit (Shaman)
  • Encounter 3: Sly Fox Spirit (Shaman)
  • Daily 5: A Rock and a Hard Place (Warlord) OR Scent of Victory (Warlord)
  • Encounter 7: Written in Fire (Invoker, via Novice Power)
  • Daily 9: Awakened Wrath (Warlord) OR Warlord's Recovery (Warlord)
  • Encounter 13: Spirit of the Killing Shot (Shaman) OR Befuddling Cry (Warlord) OR Bolstering Insight (Warlord) OR Pincer Maneuver (Warlord)
  • Daily 15: Wall of Blades (Invoker, via Adept Power)
  • Encounter 17: We Will Not Fail (Warlord, technically lets you make a basic attack as well, but best we can do here)
  • Daily 19: Exhorted Counterattack (Warlord)
  • Encounter 23: Spirit of the Ram (Shaman)
  • Daily 25: Precision Stance (Warlord) OR Warlord's Resurgence (Warlord)
  • Encounter 27: Offering of Peace (Invoker)
  • Daily 29: Heart of Bedlam (Shaman) OR Deific Rallying (Warlord) OR Perfect Front (Warlord)
You can dump Strength entirely. Depending on your hybrid talent you may have any or all of Int, Wis, or Cha riders.

eriktheguy

First Post
Oops, I meant most warlord powers require a hit to cause their effects. In any case I haven't played enough of the other leaders to know for sure.

Remove ads