• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape The Kolyarut has an automatic hit attack.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Honestly, I was assuming that was a CR 10 creature.
I'd wager my 8th level party could hold their own against it.

The situation would matter greatly - If it got off Edict of Blades (24 damage to multiple targets, possibly the entire party, and each creature hit is incapacitated, no save) just about any 8th level party is hosed because it's going to start taking them down.

Edit: and you better hope the martials weren't hasted - because then they're REALLY hosed.

I think they lowered the damage a bit because it has 4 cannot miss attacks - played smartly it's pretty nasty.

I still find it really odd that these high level creatures don't do magic damage.....which is why the wars will never end, they just can't kill each other.
They deal Force Damage, very few creatures resist that. Tons of creatures that used to have magic attacks have Force listed on their attacks now. Like tons of high CR monsters do that now.

Exemplars of Law have less random aspects to them. Its a metagame aesthetics thing. :)
I agree that fixed damage with auto hit is not very enjoyable. I get the thematic aspect, and to me this should only be appropriate as a lair action. But this implies that even if one were to encounter them in a maelstrom of chaos on the plane of chaos this will still be the way it is.

It also means that their opponent doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if they are going up against a naked and restrained commoner or a titan etc. I would rather see the damage be 10% of the target's hit point max. That would be interesting! This, this is just boring.

I agree that fixed damage with auto hit is not very enjoyable. I get the thematic aspect, and to me this should only be appropriate as a lair action. But this implies that even if one were to encounter them in a maelstrom of chaos on the plane of chaos this will still be the way it is.

It also means that their opponent doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if they are going up against a naked and restrained commoner or a titan etc. I would rather see the damage be 10% of the target's hit point max. That would be interesting! This, this is just boring.
This would make them less effective against Weaker Creatures.

Remove ads