The Faerie Woods [Knight Otu Judging]

Zweischneid

First Post
Glad to leave the small talk with the dwarfen jeweler to Peresphone for the moment Morulas casually strolls through the little shop.

Keeping his eyes open, the elven ranger intuitively searches for clues and traces of last nights theft.

OoC:
Search +6 / Spot +5 & the the elven ability to note secret or concealed door within 5 feet as if actively looking for it. The track feat & Knowledge (nature) might also help with fey creatures.

Also, based on my Knowledge (Nature) (+4) I've picked up some cold iron arrows, even though Morulas hasn't yet activly opposed such a creature.
I hope thats reasonably ok?
I am not quite sure what the DC would be to actually know about such vulnerabilities, but I can just as quickly return the arrows if I'd fail the roll.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Morulas looks around carefully. Remembering that the party did sleep one night in the tower, and spent a night recovering afterwards, the theft would have been two nights ago. He is able to find some pieces of glass scattered in corners, though at this time the shops window appears as good as new. He almost misses it, but there are two or the drops of dried blood on the floor.

Responding to Persephone, Gontor begins his response calmly enough. He's clearly getting worked up thinking about the theft, though, and it turns into something of a rant.

"Eh? Rilithorne saw the theft? Now that's a piece of luck. I'd about given up on getting a piece of my own back from the crook, whoever he might be. How is Rilithorne, anyway? Last couple of days I haven't been sure whether to be angry about the theft or worried the damn tower would fall over or catch my place on fire. Problem with living amongst the surface races is that there's not enough stone around to make a sensible man feel comfortable! Fires!"

"Anyway, you sure are right I'm missing a necklace. What puzzles me is that that's all I'm missing. Can't figure why anyone would do a smash and grab and only grab the one thing. It was only half an hour after I closed the shop, and still full daylight. Pretty bold theft, I'd say. Fire started at about the same time, I think, so maybe that's why nobody saw it. Thief went by a small fortune of jewelery in display cases, then broke into a safe with a damn good lock on it and only took the one necklace. Left all my gold coins in place. Plain crazy is what it is!"

"Not that it matters how little or how much he stole, of course. A Dwarf's got a reputation to uphold! My clan's well know, well known, mind you, for ruthlessly taking revenge on those that have wronged us! Only a fool would steal from Clan Torbith! And here I am, Gontor Torbith, a solid month's journey away from my clanhome and getting old. That rat must have figured I'm out of touch with my clansmen, couldn't manage a decent revenge at my age! What really anoyed me was I was starting to think he was right! Can't get much of a revenge going if you can't find out who stole from you, now can you, no matter how young and spry you might be! That's a thing of the past, now, I can tell, you, now that I know who did it! They'll see old Gontor's not a dwarf to cross! Just you wait!"

He pauses for a moment.

"Um, that is, did Rilithorne say who did it?"

ooc: Morulas may not be aware of specifics, but he's definitely heard that cold iron arrows will hurt some creatures more than regular arrows. The cold iron ones are cheap enough, why would anyone buy any other kind?

Manzanita

First Post
Persephone

"Ah, Mr. Torbith, that's terrible! I know what its like to be alone, away from your clan..." Persephone stiffles a sniff, "and I'm sure the necklace was of special value to you. We are adventurers. Perhaps we could help you? Normally these sorts of things find us at the Red Dragon Inn, as you probably know. But Rilithorn's description of the theft made us think you might want our help. Rilithorn says he saw a small fey creature with an enormous scythe and wearing some sort of hat. He also said the stolen necklace was glowing and magical."

"How did the theif bypass the locks on your safe? Were they picked? Broken? Does that make any sense to you?"

Last edited:

SlagMortar

First Post
Nars asks with a deep bow, "M-Master Torbith, would you, er, could I take a look at the safe?"
Nars inspects the area around the safe.

OOC: Search +7 (+2 for secret doors and compartments, +2 for stonework if applicable), Spot +5
Nars also picked up some cold iron bolts. I figured between Rilthorne and the previous adventure's lesson on damage reduction someone would have clued him in.

Patlin

Explorer
Gontor collects himself, then flushes a bit.

"Well, actually, I was still trying to figure out if the necklace had special value or not. I make most of what I sell, but this particular item I bought on speculation at an estate sale. That's why it was locked up, it wasn't for sale because I'm still trying to figure out the exact value. Its worth what I paid for it on the materials alone, but I suspected it might have special value as an antique. Not sure why it was glowing, didn't seem to be enchanted to me, or I wouldn't have bought it. Enchantment brings in a whole new level of complications."

"It might seem foolish to you non-dwarves," he continued, looking to Nars for understanding "but the actual value of the stolen item means less to me than the fact that someone has stolen from me. It's an insult, and one that I refuse to let go unanswered."

"Here, let me show you the vault. You know, I hadn't considered putting an advertisement up at Joe's place. Maybe I should have, but I was thinking more along the lines of asking my clan to step in... more traditional that way. Until you came by, I hadn't a clue as to who to ask them to step in against, though. Now, the clues are thin enough, I don't think I'd be best served with waiting for messages to get back and forth."

The vault has a large hole burned through the high quality steel.

Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering) DC 12 [sblock]It looks like whatever melted the vault melted its way out from the inside.[/sblock]

Knight Otu said:
(Yah mind if I take the judge role again?)

I'd be very happy to have you do so! Didn't wan't to presume, but I was hoping you'd offer.

SlagMortar

First Post
Roll for knowledge: [sblock] [dice] + 7[/sblock]

Nars winces as he examines the safe. "It, ah, appears the hole is melted from the, er, inside." He mutters, "So much for it not being magic."

OOC: Any extra knowledge gained from a DC 27 knowledge check? I'd hate to waste a natural 20. :)

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Morulas:[sblock]while the tiled floor doesn't leave much evidence in the form of tracks, your tracking skills do allow you to notice something out of place. You find an area on one of the walls where it would appear someone carelessly allowed a sharp object to scratch against the wall. It's about at the right height for someone of your own size carrying a scythe if they had created the scratch by dragging the scythe along the wall. It's a single scratch, and appears to lead up to the safe. Either they were more carefull as they left, or the trail ends mysteriously at the safe.[/sblock]

IcyCool

First Post
Gorefoot - Gnome Barbarian 2

Gorefoot scans the shop, keeping a watchful eye lest any foes spring themselves upon the party. He also follows Persephone around the shop, to make sure no harm comes to her.

Patlin

Explorer
SlagMortar said:
OOC: Any extra knowledge gained from a DC 27 knowledge check? I'd hate to waste a natural 20. :)

Sure, why not?

Nars also determines that the heat must have been directional, somehow, as the gold coins in the safe aren't melted or distorted by the heat.

Remove ads