• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 The Complete Book of Humanoids - 3E

Krishnath

First Post
Boz: I was thinking in this specific part of the board, not in homebrews. If Scott feels like it he may repost them on the CC site.

Wolf72: It says in the early part of the lung dragon description in OA that the union of a lung dragon and a humanoid is a spiritfolk. I think it has to do with lung dragons being natives of the spirit world.

Wolf72

Explorer
Krishnath said:
Wolf72: It says in the early part of the lung dragon description in OA that the union of a lung dragon and a humanoid is a spiritfolk. I think it has to do with lung dragons being natives of the spirit world.

I'll take your word for it ... (translate: I'm to lazy to open it up myself, as right now the PHb (PHb because technically Handbook is only one word ...:rolleyes: ) is out. I'm sure sometime later today I might put it back and grab another out of the shelf, by then I'll not remember why though ... :)

ps excellent job on the other 1/2 dragons :)

pps (I always thought 1/2 dragons were cooler than spirit folk anyways )

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
updated the list of ability adjustments. it's not the same as the NPC adjustment list in the DMG, but i brought it more in line with the typical 3E MM stats. :)

Wolf72

Explorer
m'kay

BOZ said:
updated the list of ability adjustments. it's not the same as the NPC adjustment list in the DMG, but i brought it more in line with the typical 3E MM stats. :)

curious why you didn't use the MM or DMG?

Wolf72

Explorer
stat comparison (from MM only)

Bugbear - +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Rogue
MM: +4 str, +2 dex, +2 con, -2 cha

[Centaur - +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence - Ranger
MM: +8 str, +4 dex, +4 con, -2 int, +2 wis

Gnoll - +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Ranger
MM: +4 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 cha

Goblin - +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Charisma - Rogue
MM: same

Hobgoblin - +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma - Fighter
MM: +2 dex, +2 con

Kobold - +2 Dexterity, -4 Strength, -2 Constitution - Sorcerer
MM: -4 str, +2 dex (difference, no -2 con ... but then again they get a full HD! woo hoo ... hmm why didn't they just give Kobolds a -2 con instead of the wimpy 1/2 d8???)

Lizardfolk - +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence - Druid
MM:+2 str, +2con, -2 int (str only difference)

Minotaur - +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, - 4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma - Barbarian
MM: +8 str, +4 con, -4 int, -2 cha (kinda hard to play ... ej house rule- +4 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 wis, –2 cha. Fighter (Imperial minotaur) Barbarian (mithan/kothan) ... yup kyrnn conversion)

Ogre - +6 Strength, +4 Constitution, - 4 Intelligence, -4 Charisma - Barbarian
MM: +10 str, -2 dex, +4 con, -4 int, -4 cha. Fav Class: none

Ogre, Half- - +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, - 2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Barbarian
CC: +6 Strength, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma. Fav Class Barbarian (house rule: none)

Ogre Mage - +6 Strength, +2 Constitusion, -4 Wisdom - Wizard
MM: +10 str, +6 con, +4 int, +4 wis, +6 cha. Fav Class: none (I'd almost suggest Sorceror) (yikes those are mucho cool stats)

Orc - +2 Strength, -4 Charisma - Barbarian
MM: +4 str, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha

Pixie - +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -4 Strength, -2 Constitution - Rogue
MM: -4 str, +8 dex, +6 int, +4 wis, +6 cha. Fav Class: none

Satyr - +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma - Bard
MM: +2 dex, +2 con, +2 int, +2 wis, +2 cha. Fav Class: none (although bard makes a heck of a lot of senseJ)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ALAGHI
Alaghi are large, forest-dwelling brutes who are actually shy and keep to themselves.
Personality: Alaghi are naturally a peaceful people, living in harmony in their natural surroundings. Alaghi make their own stone tools and weapons, such as stone knives, hand axes, and simple javelins. Most alaghi are hunter-gatherer nomads, travelling from one place to another and never really settling down. These alaghi don't necessarily share a harmonious existence with nature, but they have a healthy respect for it and try not to destroy it. These alaghi travel throughout the year, following game trails and watching for wild plants to eat and use.
Alaghi which live in villages are called sedentary alaghi, and survive by raiding others. These alaghi are very violent, and have a tendency to want to slay anyone they meet. These algahi are very primitive, and live greedily off of other races.
Alaghi hermits live in harmony with nature and fey of all types, and often serve the forests as druids. These alaghi are curious, and appreciate the company of other races. They are more intelligent than other alaghi, and love riddles, and games such as chess.
Physical Description: Alaghi are reputed to be distant relations to yeti, and their physical appearance strongly backs this up. They are wide and squat, and unbelievably shaggy. Adults are usually about 6 feet tall and 300 or more pounds. They are surprisingly nimble for their size, and are experts at hiding and moving silently.
Alaghi become adults around the age of 19, and most die before the age of 100.
Relations: Alaghi villages distrust their neighbors, and are in turn distrusted by their neighbors because of their frequent hostility. Some braver neighbors trade their manufactured goods for pelts, wild game, and ores. The attitudes of the sedentary alaghi have poisoned relations between other types of alaghi and other races. Other alaghi are much more likely to be friendly to other humanoid races.
Alignment: Most alaghi are neutral in alignment, caring not for the worries of good and evil. Villages of alaghi have a slight tendency to develop an evil bent as they become distrustful and even hateful of outsiders. Those who leave alaghi society, particularly adventurers, wind up leaving because of their tendency towards good. Alaghi druids are generally neutral good.
Alaghi Lands: Alaghi tend to roam throughout temperate woodlands and mountains. These semi-nomadic people travel as small family groups of not more than a couple of dozen adults. Village-dwelling alaghi are often hostile towards travelers and don't allow anyone into their village.
Religion: Alaghi don't have a god or set of gods that they worship, like most other races. They share a unique racial sense of spirituality based around revering nature and the natural world. As such, druids are very common throughout alaghi society. Alaghi are a very superstitious people, and fear things such as arcane magic, undead creatures, and metal tools and weapons.
Language: Alaghi use a form of Sylvan as their own language, but their dialect is so primitive it is almost unrecognizable. Nomadic alaghi tend to punctuate their sentences with hisses, hoots, and grunts. Sedentary alaghi speak this dialect of Sylvan as well as Common, and sometimes Goblin. Hermitic alaghi speak Sylvan as well as any fey can, and usually know a few other languages as well.
Names:
Adventurers: Alaghi that decide to leave home to become adventurers may have a variety of reasons. Nomadic alaghi who become adventurers are true thrill-seekers, questing for knowledge, treasure, or just plain adventure. Sedentary alaghi can become tired of their primitive community life, becoming a lone nomad or eventually finding a party of adventurers to travel with. Hermit alaghi are well suited to become adventurers, particularly druids, if they are willing to give up their life of solitude for a grand cause.

ALAGHI RACIAL TRAITS
+8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence: An alaghi is very large and poweful, but where its body is strong, its mind tends to be weak.
Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, aarakocra have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Alaghi base speed is 30 feet.
Natural Armor: An alaghi has +5 natural armor.
Natural Attacks: An alaghi can attack with its huge fists, causing 1d3 points of damage each.
Automatic Languages: Sylvan. Bonus languages: Common, Goblin, and Giant. Travelling alaghi learn the languages of races they interact with.
Favored Class: Druid. A multiclass alaghi's druid class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing. (see Experience for Multiclass Characters, Player's Handbook, page 56).

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: m'kay

Wolf72 said:

curious why you didn't use the MM or DMG?

ok, here's the deal, i found what i was looking for. you don't want to use the information from the DMG p 57 for PCs, because that's NPC info. instead, the info from p 22-24 is the key. i'm going to take a look at that stuff, then rewrite it again. :)

EDIT - ok, i looked at your comparisons, and it looks like you did all that already. ;) what the hell, i'll use that info. :)
in the end, i guess the ECL makes up for the high imbalances of all those bonuses and the extra HD.
the original CBH tried (but did not always succeed) to balance out the bonuses and penalties. but back then, they did not have the concept of ECL.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
no Monsters of Faerun

my brother has my copy along with his christmas present (FRCS) ...

so there was no way to check out the FR stuff.

I think when/if they do a monster-PC book they'll probably use the stats as in the MM. (course I'm gonna use my Krynnish minotaur stats ... portals, spelljamming what have you ... MM minotaurs will still be monters though ... hmm maybe even envious of their littler cousins)

with your stat mods you could actually bring down the LA ... (I just stick with the books cuz it's not as confusing)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
you're right, sticking with the books is easier than making up my own adjustments. ;) i have the stats for the other races and am fixing those up as i write. now, if only someone could fill in the blanks for the ECLs i'll be in business...

Remove ads