• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Temptation and Corruption domains

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
That's still a fairly high level thing. It doesn't solve the problem of corupting an entire small village of children in a few weeks either. I mean, I love the flavor, but it begs the question "Why aren't there more corupted church members when one can convert several villages in a decade or two?"

I'd think more of a penalty to particular actions for some time, with a save to resist. Maybe induce a negitive emotion that hurts a few skills, or a rage that acts like the wolverine's without bonuses or something.
Would it be more interesting if I added in that 'pure unconditional love bestowed upon the target by a Good being allows the target a new saving throw every month to shake the effect' ?

The idea is that it is meant to be able to corrupt and infest a small village's children so that a new branch of evil cultists can rise there many years later :] I mean, if it was a village of Azers, a Fire cleric could just command them all (or water cleric destroy them instantly), and it only works on children, animals, and unborn babes. I wanted to create an ability that was basically useless for the combat cleric but oozing with enough evil flavour that adventurers would hate whoever used it and want to stop them (corrupting unborn babies to make them evil? now that's EVIL). Compared to the Death domain's instant Death attack, this is much less useful in fighting, but more likely to cause adventurers who see its effects to seek out the perpetrator to slay him.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Would it be more interesting if I added in that 'pure unconditional love bestowed upon the target by a Good being allows the target a new saving throw every month to shake the effect' ?

The idea is that it is meant to be able to corrupt and infest a small village's children so that a new branch of evil cultists can rise there many years later :] I mean, if it was a village of Azers, a Fire cleric could just command them all (or water cleric destroy them instantly), and it only works on children, animals, and unborn babes. I wanted to create an ability that was basically useless for the combat cleric but oozing with enough evil flavour that adventurers would hate whoever used it and want to stop them (corrupting unborn babies to make them evil? now that's EVIL). Compared to the Death domain's instant Death attack, this is much less useful in fighting, but more likely to cause adventurers who see its effects to seek out the perpetrator to slay him.
It's a great evil thing, but when a good 80-90% of the population has no access to anything like this, over the course of 100 years, entire nations will be corupted.

I just think it's too... broadly abstract, and realy , too powerful in the long scheme of things.

Patlin

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Taste of Evil
Enchantment [Mind-Affecting and Evil]
Level Cleric 5, Corruption 4
Components: V,S,DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour / level
Saving Throw: Will negates
SR: Yes

On a failed Will save, the affected creature becomes Evil. This does not change the target's allegiances or outlook in any other way, so they won't just randomly attack their friends, but their sudden dark epiphany may make them more amenable to doublecrossing their allies or other such shady negotiations.

(Discussion of the spell: Compare to Dominate Person--much less useful in controlling actions and shorter duration too. This is less a useful combat or control spell and more for flavour of corrupting people)

I'd like the spell description to adress temporary and permanent effects on alignment dependent abilities and/or classes. Paladins, for example, though outside core other examples spring to mind, such as exalted feats.

Patlin

Explorer
Both of the domain abilities trouble me, they seem too powerfull and they can be used too frequently. Possibly something more subtle along the same lines? Why couldn't temptation be used offensively -- turned negative immediately for combat use?

SlagMortar

First Post
The Boon would be much less powerful, though still very useful if it just granted an enhancement bonus. Then it couldn't be added to someone's most important score, assuming they have a stat enhancer, but would still provide a good benefit like +2 Dex or Wis for a fighter. The -4 penalty to Wis to a fighter could be a nasty incentive to stay on the cleric's good side too since the cleric could follow it up with a Will save spell.

DerHauptman

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
The cleric can grant a dark boon to those who please her. She may expend a Rebuke undead attempt for the day in order to attempt to grant her boon to a willing or helpless target (but not herself) with a kiss, a hug, a pat on the back, or a similar gesture. An unwilling target receives a Will Save DC 10 + the cleric's Charisma modifier to resist the boon. So long as the cleric is pleased with the boon's recipient, the boon grants the target a +2 profane bonus to any one ability score, but if she chooses, she may transform the bonus to a -4 profane penalty as a free action, or back into a +2 profane bonus whenever she wishes. Either way, the boon's effects fade away after 1 hour per level. A cleric may only have one such boon active at any given time. If the cleric grants a boon while another of her boons is active, all boons but the most recent fade away immediately.

Fantastic! Great solution.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
I'd like the spell description to adress temporary and permanent effects on alignment dependent abilities and/or classes. Paladins, for example, though outside core other examples spring to mind, such as exalted feats.
It would count as involuntary, as if they had committed the evil acts under a Domination effect. Shall I add that explicitly?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
Both of the domain abilities trouble me, they seem too powerfull and they can be used too frequently. Possibly something more subtle along the same lines? Why couldn't temptation be used offensively -- turned negative immediately for combat use?
I don't want the Temptation ability to be turned negative immediately for combat use because it's Temptation, not Hexing. The idea is to use the ability as a carrot/stick to condition your target into performing evil acts until eventually they enjoy the evil :]

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
It's a great evil thing, but when a good 80-90% of the population has no access to anything like this, over the course of 100 years, entire nations will be corupted.

I just think it's too... broadly abstract, and realy , too powerful in the long scheme of things.
Well, it's supposed to be a slow long-term ability, for sure. Compared to Death Touch from the Death Domain, which could turn an entire kingdom (including the adults) dead eventually and also helps in combat, it doesn't seem that bad--any power used over and over again can eventually achieve great effect, right? The water effect can be removed by a cantrip (Purify Food and Drink). What if the effect on animals and babies can not only be removed eventually by the nebulous 'love' thing I mentioned earlier but it can also be blocked from occurring in the first place by a Protection from Evil?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads