• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Flag Tales of the Valiant is out (in PDF)! What do people think?

Marc Radle

Legend
From online video looks and the playtests, The books are beautiful and there is a lot I like. I like race being replaced with Lineage and Heritage. I also like the changes to backgrounds (even if not some of the name changes), Talents, multiclassing remaining optional, and some other things I like as well.

I will give another look, if KP releases a product that
  • breaks from 5e's reluctance to add new classes and adds new classes based upon the classes in their Pathfinder New Paths Compendium (Battle Scion, Priest, Spell-less Ranger, Savant, Spirit Shaman, Theurge, Trickster, White Necromancer)

There were 2 new classes in the recent Deep Magic books, so Kobold Press is not afraid of new classes!

And, as the author of those New Paths Compendium classes, I absolutely want to see more of those classes come to ToV! Theurge was one of those 2 Deep Magic classes in fact :)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
There were 2 new classes in the recent Deep Magic books, so Kobold Press is not afraid of new classes!

And, as the author of those New Paths Compendium classes, I absolutely want to see more of those classes come to ToV! Theurge was one of those 2 Deep Magic classes in fact :)
The Witch looks super cool. One of my players in my new game is playing one for the first time, so I'm looking forward to see how it works out.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Looking at the table of contents, I was surprised to see how many monsters aren't in it, more than I thought were on the product identity list. (I can't come up with examples off the top of my head, I'm afraid.) So having access to the WotC monsters, even as a back-up, seems like it might be necessary if I followed suit. (Monster Vault seems like the first book I'd pick up and use, for myself.)
I whipped out my Monster Vault PDF last night for a game and quickly sought out the Revenant which wasn't in it. That's a bummer because that means it isn't a 1:1 replacement of the Monster Manual. I have to somehow know ahead of time that I can't replace one monster with another. I used the one from Level Up Advanced 5e instead.

I'd love to see a list of the 5.1 SRD monsters that aren't in the Monster Vault.

Edit: Turns out the Revenant isn't in the 5.1 SRD at all! It's in Level Up Advanced 5e but not in the WOTC SRD. Fascinating!

I can't blame KP for not including it in the Monster Vault and take back my statement.

Last edited:

Jadeite

Hero
Playing a Gloomstalker Ranger multiclass with optimized stats? Things may go a lot more smoothly for you, depending on your tactics.
I used a Gloomstalker with Rogue multiclass to kill a Beholder intended as a boss encounter before it could even act. Nearly killed it, another PC had to remove its last few hp, but that was still before the Beholder had its turn. That subclass is utterly broken.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
I used a Gloomstalker with Rogue multiclass to kill a Beholder intended as a boss encounter before it could even act. Nearly killed it, another PC had to remove its last few hp, but that was still before the Beholder had its turn. That subclass is utterly broken.
How did that work?

Jadeite

Hero
How did that work?
Gloomstalkers get an extra attack on the first round that deals extra damage. They are also invisible to Darkvision, so I had a lot of attacks with advantage. The character was Ranger 5/ Rogue 3. The DM made the mistake of granting me a surprise round for being stealthy, so I could act twice. I started with Dex 20 because of some weird houseruled stat rolling, so I could take Sharpshooter. My Roguish Archetype was Scout, if I had taken Assassin I would have been able to kill the Beholder totally on my own.
But it was mostly due to the Gloomstalker being broken.

Remove ads