• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superman's secret ID revealed

Azure Trance

First Post
Place: DC Comics,
Time: "Superman" No. 178
Lex Luthor, now president of U.S. (according to DC Comics) uses the Satelite reconnaissance devices of U.S.A. to track a rocket from planet Krypton, which landed in Kansas 25 to 30 years ago (Comic-Time).

Luthor, who's been chasing Superman since "Action Comics" No. 23 (1940), kills the only other person who knows Superman's secret. The No. 178 "Superman" issues ends with Luthor in the oval office, muttering "Clark Kent is Superman."

http://www.nandotimes.com/entertainment/story/259721p-2423583c.html

It's a very good article read, but I wonder what's gonna happen next ...

Last edited:

Superman

First Post
Hey now, don't be spreading it around or everyone will know.

Amazing, a whole thread just about me.

That fiend was bound to figure it out after 50 years.

Don't worry folks, I think in the end I'll prevail once again. ;)

After all, DC comics tried to kill me before and look what happend.

They're planing to make another movie about me soon, and my WB tv show has been doing well overall too.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
I'm more worried about Batman than you Super. Even if Lex threatens your friends, Super, you can be there in an instant to save them. Batman doesn't have that luxury. Of course *you* know who Batman really is, don't you? Perhaps you might go out of your way to save some of his friends once in awhile. Don't talk to him about it ok? or he might have to beat you up, -again.

Take care.

Ysgarran

OK, since this is a superman thread I need to ask some questions regarding an article I read the other day. (Sorry, I don't remember the exact source but I was sitting and waiting for my wife to get her hair done. I'll read anything in a situation like that...).

They were talking about how in the WB show that arrival of Superman in Smallville was both a boon and bane. That the arrival of the spacecraft also brought meteors that brought on mutations and ruined Lex's hair, etc. etc. They went about how each generation re-writes their myth heros to fit the age (i.e. just like what has been happening to the King Arthur legend for hundreds of years).

The earlier version(s) of Superman had a messiah theme since the arrival of the 50's version brought only good. They were claiming that the arrival of the newest WB version had taken on aspects of a creater/destroyer since his arrival also heralded the arrival of mutations and other forms of nastiness.

There also was a passing reference to Buffy also having aspects of a creater/destroyer since her presence brings both good and bad. I don't watch that show so if anyone can explain that, it would be appreciated.

Klaus

First Post
Although I have yet to watch Smallville (it hasn't premiered down here), I believe that article meant something along the lines "Would there be a Joker if there wasn't a Batman before?"

The whole creator/destroyer thing is a way of saying "If these heroes didn't exist, their enemies wouldn't have existed either". I may not agree with that theroy, but that's a whole new story.

In Smallaville, they needed something to challenge Clark, so they tied all those mutated, deranged teens to the kryptonite meteors that followed his ship to Earth. That way, he feels a sense of duty to stop them (planting the seed for the high-standards superhero he's destined to become). But a major complaint about the show is that it suffered from the "Kryptonite-enhanced villain of the week" syndrome, so they're beginning to steer a bit away from that formula.

Some rumors abound that Bruce Wayne may pass by Smallville during his around-the-world training trip.

And Supes already know Batman's ID. (X-Ray vision, y'know). At about the same time, Batman figured out Supes' ID.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Not to hijack the thread or anything but has anyone here picked up the new Frank miller Dark Knight 2 books yet?

I have #1&2 (of three) and they are very good. Don't know if I like them as much as the first Dark Knight series (but that was one of the best stories told in comics IMO), and some of the art is questionable (while some is simply outstanding).

The sotrytelling is still Miller's strong suit (obviously) and this is a great story. I don't want to reveal any spoliers here just wanted to see if anyone else has picked this up (and there is a link to Superman as he appears in the book more often than Bats)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Would there be a Joker if there wasn't a Batman before

Actually its "Would there be a Batman if there wasn't a Joker before" - it was the Joker who killed Bruces parents driving him to hide in that cave fill of bats that he was always having nightmares about.

The whole point of Batmans 'hero status' is that he is a flawed human who has overcome his fears and weaknesses to become 'super'

This is/was the complete opposite of Supermans 'hero status' was derives from his "Outsider":) nature. He is more than human, superior in everyway. The Messianic parallel was entirely acceptable in the past as it linked clearly with older mythoological traditions (as did Batmans)

In our post-post-modern era however with its emphasis on secular humanism Batmans has become the favoured tradition that of flawed humanity overcoming its weaknesses to become heroes.

Smallville has recently started screening here (episode 4 I missed last week) and from what I can tell it has followed the 'Batman' tradition in its remaking of Clark as a flawed character beset with teenage angst - of course Teenage angst was bound to feature in the DC Comics meets Dawsons Creek Show but...ack ack barf!

It does suffer from villain of the week syndrome - like the Lightning Boy and Pyro-Coach - when it could have had the far cooler villains of the Buffy ilk - oh well maybe next season:)

I like that young Lex and young Clark are friends (of a sort) - it makes the later rivalry or the more compelling

Overall Smallville is nothing great but being Supes I'll watch it.

Buffy still rules in the Cool Teen focussed shows for adults category though

ps Did you guys see the Batman cartoon episode in which Tarzan featured and discovered Bruces identity from his scent! - cool
(now Tarzan, Lord Greystoke - theres a real hero!)

ruleslawyer

Tries... to avoid... entering... discussion...

For those of you who were not aware: Except as portrayed in the Tim Burton film Batman, the Joker (Jack Napier) did not kill Bruce Wayne's parents; that was the work of an anonymous thug.

Skullfyre

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Tries... to avoid... entering... discussion...

For those of you who were not aware: Except as portrayed in the Tim Burton film Batman, the Joker (Jack Napier) did not kill Bruce Wayne's parents; that was the work of an anonymous thug.

I believe the name of the thug is Jpe Chill

Remove ads