• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D Strategos N or A?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Is there anywhere to get a copy of either of these games / house systems? I'm poking around the net and can't seem to come up with anything. It seems such foundational games to D&D would be available somewhere.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Found something lower down in this thread. The links seem to work but I didn't try to download anything.
Thanks. Appreciated. But those are for the original Strategos game that Strategos-N and -A were based on. N is a streamlined version used by Wesley and Arneson’s gaming group. A is Arneson’s ancients version of N.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Thanks. Appreciated. But those are for the original Strategos game that Strategos-N and -A were based on. N is a streamlined version used by Wesley and Arneson’s gaming group. A is Arneson’s ancients version of N.
Ah. Oh well. I don't even know what Strategos is.

Seth Nelson

Villager
Strategos, the rules set, isn't foundational to Dungeons and Dragons. The streamlined Napoleonic era rules of Dave Wesley weren't what inspired Dave Arneson to develop tabletop roleplaying. Only the principal of free kriegspiel (instead of rigid kriegspiel) that Wesley first discovered in Strategos made it into D&D. That principal, that players' should be allowed to "try" anything even if it's not in the rules, is what is foundational.

Strategos A isn't even a rules set. It's a few pages of historical characteristics used to adapt Strategos for ancients wargaming.

Strategos N is just a quickstart version of Totten's Strategos. You'll notice that Totten's game is extremely complex.

Remove ads