• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD Fixes

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Looks like LEB suffers from the same issues as LEW did in including all SRD material by default; mostly in things like Superior Combat Expertise (Improved Combat Expertise in Comp War) and the like. UA material is not affected (it is not part of the SRD). I would propose the same four proposals as outlined there:
- Ban Persistent Spell
- Ban Superior Expertise (also known as Improved Combat Expertise)
- Limit Energy Substitution to not include Sonic (as in Complete Arcane)
- State that changes to the SRD are not auto-imported other than Errata

Last edited:

Solange

First Post
Characters with huge strength or dexterity scorce (in the case of finesse) can make themselves virtualy unhittable.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Moggthegob said:
if you do not mind me asking what is wrong with improved combat expertise?
See the link for RA's analysis. Essentially: Unlike power attack, ICE scales faster than AC does (so it quickly makes it impossible for one to be hit while still allowing the user to tank against the attacker). Power Attack, in contrast, scales more reasonably w/ hit points.

Currently, ICE is moot as we do not have any 6th level characters. But I think the last point made in my original point is the important one.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yup. The worst abuses are from the GM's side of the screen, which we can't technically prevent by banning it due to the way we allow GMs to use what they want, but I think seeing players with ICE would encourage GMs to use it, whereas having it specifically banned would encourage them not to use it (to wit, for a great example of a GM abuse, a Dragon using ICE can basically be assured that it will never ever take a hit from any attacks, and it should have no problem with hitting things itself).

Wik

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Yup. The worst abuses are from the GM's side of the screen, which we can't technically prevent by banning it due to the way we allow GMs to use what they want, but I think seeing players with ICE would encourage GMs to use it, whereas having it specifically banned would encourage them not to use it (to wit, for a great example of a GM abuse, a Dragon using ICE can basically be assured that it will never ever take a hit from any attacks, and it should have no problem with hitting things itself).

See, this is one of those cases where in my IRL game, it wouldn't be banned, but it would never come up, due to the nature of a f2f group.

But I could see it coming up, and in LEB, we just might hit 6th level.

Though I doubt that would happen before 4e came around. But I refuse to speculate on 4e and the future in general!

In any case, I say YES to all of 'em, especially the energy substitution bit. Actually, I'd like to specifically state that it applies only to Fire, Cold, Acid, and Electrical, although it's really the same thing.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
See, this is one of those cases where in my IRL game, it wouldn't be banned, but it would never come up, due to the nature of a f2f group.

But I could see it coming up, and in LEB, we just might hit 6th level.

Though I doubt that would happen before 4e came around. But I refuse to speculate on 4e and the future in general!

In any case, I say YES to all of 'em, especially the energy substitution bit. Actually, I'd like to specifically state that it applies only to Fire, Cold, Acid, and Electrical, although it's really the same thing.
Gotta agree with you Wik--I've banned exponentially more things on LEB than I have in my home group. This is actually for a different reason than you, though--I know I can handle some of the more sketchy abilities in my home game, so I allow them. But if I am having to handle them because they are causing some balance trouble, I would want them banned from LEB, since other GMs (particularly those without the books in the first place!) might not be able to handle them as well, and we want to make LEB as smooth a GMing experience as possible.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads