• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer [Spelljammer] Illithid to Remain "100% bad guys" -- Neogi maybe not?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
This article from Polygon talks about giving warnings to your players about clowns and spiders. In addition, Polygon asked Crawford if the Neogi were getting to get any "massaging" to tone down their evilness. The answer was... interesting. Crawford did not respond specifically regarding neogi, but did say illithids and beholders would remain evil, but some races would get the "I, Borg" treatment -- explicitly calling out Vampirates. Given that slavery has been a bit of a hot button, I will be curious to see where WotC lands of the space spider-eel slave traders.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Illithid as bad guys are different from 2E Spelljammer where they were more neutral brain eaters and slavers. I like running evil cthulhufolk so no grey matter off my noggin, but a change nonetheless.

I think that if they address the Unhuman Wars, it won't be so black and white. The Orcs/Scro/Goblins won't be solely the "bad guys", and the Elven Imperial Navy (aka Astral Elves) won't be the "good guys".

This article from Polygon talks about giving warnings to your players about clowns and spiders. In addition, Polygon asked Crawford if the Neogi were getting to get any "massaging" to tone down their evilness. The answer was... interesting. Crawford did not respond specifically regarding neogi, but did say illithids and beholders would remain evil, but some races would get the "I, Borg" treatment -- explicitly calling out Vampirates. Given that slavery has been a bit of a hot button, I will be curious to see where WotC lands of the space spider-eel slave traders.
That's taking a bit of a leap to make that assumption, reading that article. The article still does describe the neogi as being "among the player's enemies". Crawford just seems to be saying that many creatures won't be monolithically evil, so that there will be some not-so-evil individuals even among creature types that are generally thought of as evil.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
That's taking a bit of a leap to make that assumption, reading that article. The article still does describe the neogi as being "among the player's enemies". Crawford just seems to be saying that many creatures won't be monolithically evil, so that there will be some not-so-evil individuals even among creature types that are generally thought of as evil.
I just thought it was interesting he was willing with name illithid and beholders but not noegi has "100% bad guys." I wonder what's worse, from the perspective of someone who cares about such things: a race of evil slavers the PCs have to fight, or a single non-evil member of a race of slavers the PCs have to deal with?

Remove ads