• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Frogs n' Toads

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
My comment on removing Climb and Jump only refers to the marine variant. So don't forget the +12 racial mod on Jump. Plus if they live in trees like real poison arrows frogs I suggest a racial bonus to climb/ or a climb speed which will give them a bonus anyway. :)

I didn't forget it. 0 ranks +12 racial -12 speed +0 Dex = +0 ;)

Climb speed 5 ft.?

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Thoughts on the poison?
Initial thoughts are that we will need two poisons like the other thread.

The first poison is delivered by contact and is non-lethal (possibly Str damage to prevent use of weapons?), the second is delivered by either ingestion or injury and causes Con damage.

Regards
Mortis

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:
Initial thoughts are that we will need two poisons like the other thread.

The first poison is delivered by contact and is non-lethal (possibly Str damage to prevent use of weapons?), the second is delivered by either ingestion or injury and causes Con damage.

Like poisonous frogs, neotropical toads secrete a venom when irritated or threatened. The venom of this toad is cardiotoxic, disrupting normal heart. rhythms if ingested or introduced in the blood stream. If simply touched, the victim suffers from stinging, burning, and numbness in the exposed area for 1-6 hours. If this is a hand, nothing can be held for that period of time due to irritation.

A poisoned victim must make a saving throw for each round of contact with the toad, with a -2 penalty if the poison is introduced into an open wound, swallowed, or delivered via an envenomed weapon. If this saving throw is failed, the victim suffers from tightness in the chest, convulsions, salivation, and seizures, followed by death in 1-4 minutes. A successful
save indicates only irritation as outlined above.

For the contact, we could borrow from the wither limb spell and expand like so...

Contact: Initial damage = stining, burning, numbness in area touched for 1d6 hours. Poisoned legs force a subject to fall prone while at the same time reducing the subject's land speed to 5 feet. Poisoned arms or hands make it impossible for the subject to use objects or cast spells with somatic components. Venom touching the tongue make it impossible for the subject to use magic items requiring command words or cast spells with verbal components, and makes verbal communication impossible. Secondary damage = none.

Ingested/Injury: +2 racial bonus on save DC? Initial damage = nauseated; secondary damage = death?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That looks pretty good for the poisons. Let's see what CR we want before we decide on the racial bonus on ingested/injury, since I think death is the appropriate secondary damage but shouldn't be very common at what is likely a low CR.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That looks pretty good for the poisons. Let's see what CR we want before we decide on the racial bonus on ingested/injury, since I think death is the appropriate secondary damage but shouldn't be very common at what is likely a low CR.

We went with CR 1/2 on the less HD, but still death-dealing via venom poisonous frogs.

Maybe shoot for CR 1-2 for these critters?

Filby

First Post
Mortis said:
Perhaps they retain the gills from their tadpole stage, allowing them to breathe water as well as/instead of air?

Other than that
Allow them to advance further, a better swim speed/ranks, make their poison more deadly/effective (like aquatic snakes)?

The marine toad, aka the giant neotropical toad, aka the cane toad doesn't have gills. It's really just a larger version of other neotropical toads that lives closer to the coast. Or so I'm given to understand. They're terrible pests in Australia.

I'd say they just have more HD than the regular neotropical toad.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hey, Filby!

Thanks for the info. :)

I searched Wikipedia for more info on cane toads...

The common name of "Marine Toad", and the scientific name Bufo marinus, suggest a link to marine life; however, there is no such link. Adult Cane Toads are entirely terrestrial, venturing to fresh water to breed, and tadpoles have been found to only tolerate salt concentrations equivalent to 15% that of sea water.[9] Both eggs and tadpoles are toxic to many animals. This toxic protection remains at all life stages and very young cane toads kill small reptiles that eat them. Cane Toads inhabit open grassland and woodland, generally avoiding heavily forested areas; this inhibits their spread in many of the regions in which they were introduced.

It looks like we can drop the marine variant section and just mention in the flavor text that the "marine toad" or "cane toad" is a slightly larger (maybe 2 HD?) version of the neotropical toad.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
It looks like we can drop the marine variant section and just mention in the flavor text that the "marine toad" or "cane toad" is a slightly larger (maybe 2 HD?) version of the neotropical toad.
No problem, I was giving it the 'fantasy beastie' treatment rather than that of a real-life creature.

Regards
Mortis

Remove ads