• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some Deity like Eilistraee in Greyhawk world?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Is there any deity like Eilistraee of Faerun, which may try to redeem some drow to the good side, in Greyhawk world?

I can just declare that Eilistraee is in my Greyhawk world. But if there is some official deity which may do that role, I can use that.

Irennan

Explorer
Eilistraee is a purely Torilian goddess, as--unlike most other non human deities--she was created by Ed Greenwood specifically for his world. However, given that she is the daughter of Lolth and Corellon, and given that her brother, who was too created by Greenwood for the Realms, has been included in GH, I don't see why you couldn't add Eilistraee as well. Although maybe her goal and character doesn't quite fit, since Eilistraee is intended to be a mother goddess for all drow, and her goal is to offer a better life to all of them (not "redeem" some of them).

Cleon

Legend
Is there any deity like Eilistraee of Faerun, which may try to redeem some drow to the good side, in Greyhawk world?

I can just declare that Eilistraee is in my Greyhawk world. But if there is some official deity which may do that role, I can use that.

So just for clarification, are you looking for a drow deity who is keen on redeeming them (like Eilistraee) or just any Greyhawk deity who would encourage drow to turn good and worship them?

If the former, I'm unaware of any Greyhawk drow god who wants to "return their people to the light". I'd just port over Eilistraee.

If the latter, I can think of a couple of precedents.

In the City of Greyhawk boxed set there's an adventure revolving around a cleric of Pholtus who has converted a bunch of ogres to become "good". It's been ages since I read it, but I think they had only managed to become Neutral and backslided into violence after being attacked by mistrusting humans. Oh, and they kept on singing "Oh Blinding Light…".

Also, in Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue series of novels there's a good-aligned drow priestess (she's a clone of Eclavdra and Gord's girlfriend - they're that kind of books). She gets her spells normally, so presumably she must be acceptable to whatever god she worships. Unfortunately I don't recall who that god was, or maybe Gygax never mentioned it.

Shin Okada

Explorer
So just for clarification, are you looking for a drow deity who is keen on redeeming them (like Eilistraee) or just any Greyhawk deity who would encourage drow to turn good and worship them?

The former is better, but the latter will do.

Well, I am planning to let appear a bunch of Drows who may form the resistant and try to thwart the Drow invasion army (which is now allied with various other evil races).

Some of those rebels will contact PCs and lead them to the Underdark, and ask them to ruin the alliance by eliminating the key persons in each of the evil races.

I am wondering if those rebels can unite under the banner of such a deity.

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
The former is better, but the latter will do.

Well, I am planning to let appear a bunch of Drows who may form the resistant and try to thwart the Drow invasion army (which is now allied with various other evil races).

Some of those rebels will contact PCs and lead them to the Underdark, and ask them to ruin the alliance by eliminating the key persons in each of the evil races.

I am wondering if those rebels can unite under the banner of such a deity.
Just make Eclavdra the good Goddess in Greyhawk, or a proxy for a greater diety sponsoring her. There might not be any Canon for a drow good diety, and Gygax made his Gord novel series as an ending to Oerth as he lost TSR, so the world is differentthan published material. But Gygax creating anything to do with Greyhawk is as good a blessing there is to being canonized.

If the former, I'm unaware of any Greyhawk drow god who wants to "return their people to the light". I'd just port over Eilistraee.

If the latter, I can think of a couple of precedents.

In the City of Greyhawk boxed set there's an adventure revolving around a cleric of Pholtus who has converted a bunch of ogres to become "good". It's been ages since I read it, but I think they had only managed to become Neutral and backslided into violence after being attacked by mistrusting humans. Oh, and they kept on singing "Oh Blinding Light…".

Also, in Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue series of novels there's a good-aligned drow priestess (she's a clone of Eclavdra and Gord's girlfriend - they're that kind of books). She gets her spells normally, so presumably she must be acceptable to whatever god she worships. Unfortunately I don't recall who that god was, or maybe Gygax never mentioned it.
The clone was Leda, I believe. You could have her as the proxy for a previously unknown demigod.

Remove ads