• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So You've Decided to Run a "Western" Game. What Kind?

Which genre(s) of Western RPG would you consider running as a campaign?

• Classical Western

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Acid Western

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Comedy Western

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Contemporary/Neo-Western

• Electric Western

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Epic Western

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Fantasy Western

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Horror Western

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Revisionist Western

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Science Western

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Space Western

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Weird Western

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • Wuxia Western

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • None of the Above

Esau Cairn

Explorer
I notice the poll doesn't include "Historical Western". Ah, well. Research and authenticity aren't everyone's cuppa rye. šŸ˜Ž

Like with almost every demographic poll, I'll click... Other.

Esau Cairn

Explorer
Yep, this is all true. It's not unique to the American western frontier, either...

Take the Vikings, for example. When you mention the Vikings, the image that comes to most folks' minds isn't fair representation. Kate Beaton's comic:
Perhaps not coincidentally, Icelandic Sagas make for great Westerns. Using the rules from the ill-fated Swedish rpg Western IV, we played out NjƔl's Saga in an incredible campaign between the borders of the Utah and Montana Territories, in the mythically-named land of Idaho.

BrDoG

Villager
I've run twenty sessions of 'wierd west' set in Louisiana and Mexico, fighting sea beasts and giant ants and mecha and bandits. I thought it was easier to run by adding in the nonsense.

More recently I ran twenty sessions of 'classic west' using Boot Hill with a three session 'funnel' adventure followed by lots of small town drama, a fist fight and an encounter with a snake.

I enjoyed both but classic was much more engaging and reassured me of how easy it is to run a largely social encounter based historical game.

I've just started a 'horror west' campaign with vibes of Bone Tomahawk and Ravenous using Vigilante City. All three campaigns play differently.

I'd like to run 'epic' inspired by the Django and Sartana movies leaning heavily into spaghetti western tropes. Or something using tropes from Republic serials. Admittedly very different vibes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Voted Fantasy, Space, Weird, and Other.

Other: Reclaimed History. Most of the cowboys and outlaws are Mexican, and Native, and a lot are Black. The real Lone Ranger was Black, and didnā€™t so much have a sidekick, as a good working relationship with multiple Native communities. Women owned a lot of land and businesses and lost most of it as the west got more and more ā€œcivilizedā€. Many of the famous lawmen are as bad as the outlaws they hunt down, and many are motivated by racism, and Civil War resentment and grudges.

All that stuff informs the worldbuilding, how I choose and write up NPCS, etc, and then I mix in whatever supernatural elements Iā€™m using, and the whole process is deeply informed by what and who the PCs are going to be, and what story elements they do or donā€™t want to deal with.

If a Black PC wants to play an older Black US Marshal based on Bass Reeves, but doesnā€™t want to deal with racist NPCs (and Iā€™d sure prefer not to have to play them) then the game wonā€™t be historically accurate in that way, and a Black Marshal wonā€™t be a big deal, or will be a ā€œsign of the timesā€ in a mostly positive light, and we just wonā€™t interact with that stuff.

If a PC wants to be openly queer, hey cool this West has tieflings and rocs and giant sand worms, Iā€™m not worried about historicity.

Sometimes what we are into is more ā€œGalaxy Rangers meets Mandolorian meets Cowboy Bebop with magitechā€, and itā€™s more Weird/Fantasy/Space Western.

MGibster

Legend
If a Black PC wants to play an older Black US Marshal based on Bass Reeves, but doesnā€™t want to deal with racist NPCs (and Iā€™d sure prefer not to have to play them) then the game wonā€™t be historically accurate in that way, and a Black Marshal wonā€™t be a big deal, or will be a ā€œsign of the timesā€ in a mostly positive light, and we just wonā€™t interact with that stuff.
I like to keep a list of real people who can serve as excellent examples of individuals who bucked expectations and excelled in their field despite the prejudices of their day. Bass Reeves is on that list! Dude was a much better law enforcement officer than Wyatt Earp ever was and had what was perhaps the most epic mustache the Old West ever saw. And this is why representation matters. It's a reminder for me, as a DM, to make sure I think before telling someone, "That wouldn't happen during the time period."

Reeves.JPG

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like to keep a list of real people who can serve as excellent examples of individuals who bucked expectations and excelled in their field despite the prejudices of their day. Bass Reeves is on that list! Dude was a much better law enforcement officer than Wyatt Earp ever was and had what was perhaps the most epic mustache the Old West ever saw. And this is why representation matters. It's a reminder for me, as a DM, to make sure I think before telling someone, "That wouldn't happen during the time period."

View attachment 142106
Absolutely. Just about every marginalized Group in history has had at least one or two figures who did great things that defied the expectations of what did and didnā€™t happen in their time and place.

America is absolutely chock a block with examples.

Jaegermonstrous

Swamp Cryptid
The Western is a genre and like all genres it's got its own tropes and stock characters and even in the 19th century it never really adhered to what we might call realism.

You're very right, and that's part of where my discomfort comes in. The 19th century was the most blatantly genocidal against Native Americans (I'm not going to get into the modern genocide, that's a discussion for another forum), and there's plenty of racism and sexism extant in the historical record. But there were always, like @doctorbadwolf and @MGibster points out, exceptions to the norm. Especially on the fringes of colonial society, like the Western frontier.

But in the fictionalized version of that frontier, the "western", all that diversity and leeway between the societal expectations and the reality are flattened in favor of white male power fantasies. Women, especially white women, are either pure maidens to be rescued or "the harlot with a heart of gold". Brown people are either villainous, stupid, or we get the "magic brown person" or "noble savage" trope. Some of that is 19th century colonial propaganda, but it was also adopted wholeheartedly and uncritically into the modern western genre. I like hero stories as much as the next nerd, but I have a lot of trouble enjoying a genre like the "classic" western when everyone in it who looks like me is a racist caricature and target practice.

While modern writers and artists can and have begun to reclaim that diversity of storytelling in the western genre, most of my favorite examples have been done by way of the fantastical western, or the weird western, rather than a "classic" western.

I have some thoughts on why the western genre becomes more popular in the US during times when movements for social justice are also big in the public consciousness, and I think it boils down to the western as a form of myth-making for white people in the States. It's one of the ways in which the dominant culture asserts its right to rule, since our culture (such as it is) doesn't generally subscribe to the divine right of kings or other aristocracy. It also ties back in to a lot of other colonial claptrap about the Americas as an empty paradise for the white man, but I'm not going to go into depth on that here.

But all of that is part of why I feel so uncomfortable with using the western right out of the box. The entire foundation of the genre is based on some deeply racist and sexist ideology, and I just don't feel like replicating that in my free time without significant revision.

Esau Cairn

Explorer
19th century was the most blatantly genocidal against Native Americans
As opposed to the 16th, 17th, & 18th?

In almost 30 years of studying genocide, one of the few absolute statements I stand by is that there is no "most" in any discussion of genocide. Most by number? Most by degree of savagery? Most by duration? Most by percent toward eradication?

Who wants to eat any of those prize-winning brownies?

Remove ads