• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 So, what's for the finesse character in 3.5?

Evilboy

First Post
I read that one of the changes in 3.5 is the inability to use power attack with light weapons (short swords, anybody?)

Aside from being a massive change for sneaky types like rangers and rogues, this change makes it very difficult for a high-dex low-to-mid strength fighter to dish out significant amounts of damage.

Maybe my players aren't as devious as everyone else's, but I've never run into a situation where a high-dex fighter was performing better than a high-strength fighter. Even with weapon finesse, higher AC, better initiative, the combination of bonus hit and bonus damage (without wasting feats or using pansy weapons to boot) was just too good to beat.

I also liked the fact that power attack added a nifty "aiming" mechanic to 3rd Ed, if you had attack bonus to spare you could sacrifice it in order to do extra damage.

I know that nothing in 3.5 is necessarily set in stone yet, but does anyone else worry about strength becoming even more important than it is now? Is there something else being added for that 18 Dex rogue with a rapier? Anyone planning a house rule on this, or is this largely a change for the better?

- Evilboy

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Weapon Finesse becomes more versitile. It will apply to all finessable weapons, no need to take for each weapon.

Destil

Explorer
Xeoble said:
Oh nuts, did i read this right? Monks can no longer use power attack with their unarmed strikes?
Why would you want to? You can flurry with a quarterstaff now.... :D

Last edited:

niteshade6

First Post
Don't forget power attack requires a strength of 13+. So it was never a great choice for finese characters in the first place. If your strength is that high, you probably don't need to finese (although with the new finese rules it is more attractive).

Spatula

Explorer
niteshade6 said:
Don't forget power attack requires a strength of 13+. So it was never a great choice for finese characters in the first place. If your strength is that high, you probably don't need to finese (although with the new finese rules it is more attractive).
13 isn't high (unless you're a halfling or gnome), it's just above average. If you've got a 13 strength and an 18 dex, the 3.0 weapon finesse is definitely worth it, along with the 3.0 power attack.

Darklone

My jack of all trades dude had 15 strength and 20 dex (and a DM who gave out NO statboosters and ruled zero the stat increases, but that's another topic). Don't you think Finesse was nice for him?

Remove ads