• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Single class party?

Allow single class parties?

• Yes

Votes: 79 98.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.3%

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Yes. They are fun.

I'd love to play a bard-only class. You can easily cover all of fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard roles with different bard subclasses and race/background/feat combinations.

I had a ton of fun playing in an all Thieves AD&D game.

As a DM, I don't care what the players bring to the table. I always say to play the character you want to play and not worry about what others are doing. If that results in everyone playing the same class, that's fun to me.

I once ran an all bards game (it was only a one shot, not a campaign) in 2E when the 'complete bards handbook' came out. Although, the bard kits were all so diverse that they really all did feel like different classes.

Seems like most people are fine with doing a single class party.
If you answered 'Yes', is there any specific class that you wouldn't want to play in such a game?

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think it would open up more possibilities (for a truly stealthy party that doesn't have to worry about Sir Clanks a Lot spoiling the stealth, for example). Also, some Tier imbalance issues might go away, as you won't have one character be tier 1 and one be tier 5, thus hopefully avoiding the "Angel Summoner and the BMX Bandit" issue.

It might lead to a different style of how the game goes, as certain elements would not be there (an all fighter party will have little access to higher magics, for example) but it could be done. And it could add a new way of them having met - they were all part of the same magical college, or mercenary troupe, or thieves guild, etc.

Also, you could actually run a campaign called "The Seven Samurai". :). And an all swashbuckler party could give a Three Musketeers vibe.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I once ran an all bards game (it was only a one shot, not a campaign) in 2E when the 'complete bards handbook' came out. Although, the bard kits were all so diverse that they really all did feel like different classes.

Seems like most people are fine with doing a single class party.
If you answered 'Yes', is there any specific class that you wouldn't want to play in such a game?
Thinking about it, there's really not. I think all classes would lend themselves well to a single class game. Depending on the class chosen, I think it also opens up a few options for type of campaign. Rogues could be members of a thieves guild planning heists, wizards of a wizard academy searching out planar secrets, druids defending nature, barbarians raiding civilisation.

Some or even all of these could be run with a mixed class party but it would really fit well with a single class party.

Thinking about it, there's really not. I think all classes would lend themselves well to a single class game. Depending on the class chosen, I think it also opens up a few options for type of campaign. Rogues could be members of a thieves guild planning heists, wizards of a wizard academy searching out planar secrets, druids defending nature, barbarians raiding civilisation.

Some or even all of these could be run with a mixed class party but it would really fit well with a single class party.

Yeah, I can't really think of any that I would want to play either.
They all sound pretty cool in theory. Druid is my least played class, and yet a party playing as a circle of Druids sounds awesome.

The hardest part with single class campaigns is getting everyone to agree on the character class in the first place.

Would you ever play in or run a game with all the PCs being of a single class?

I am just curious as in the way back when times when I payed D&D this didn't seem to be a big deal, whereas nowadays it does.

Please feel free to tell me to get bent!
I would LOVE to play in such a game! Maybe not a 2-year campaign, but something like a 20-sessions arc, that would be awesome.

Remove ads