• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Seeking advice for my first 1e campaign

Celebrim

Legend
There is a whole lot of assumptions about my lack of knowledge permeating your post. I believe I was the first person in the thread to stress the importance of casting times, so their should be no need to ask if I played with them. And let's just take it for granted I know what can be done with environmental hazards, attrition play on either side of the screen, and 1e monsters. I played with a group that had twice finished 2nd at major tournaments, and I was considered a fairly nasty RBDM.

Never happened with us. Note that some of the more popular modules were for levels up to 14 (Tomb of Horrors, Queen of the Demonweb Pits, Temple of the Frog) and there were many others, both TSR and non.

And the end game of the Dragon Lance campaign targets about level 14 as well. But, I would like to point out that these are basically end game modules that are often as not climaxes of the intended adventure paths, which I kinda see as demonstrating my point and not arguing against it.

In fact, there were numerous official modules for levels up to 35 or so.

The only ones I know for the AD&D line were the Bloodstone 'H' series, which I would also think serve to demonstrate my points rather than arguing against them. If you were coming at 35th level out of BECMI, which did have a lot of modules for high level play and sometimes even managed to achieve it, then this is an entirely different experience than AD&D. In fact, we probably were playing different games.

We found that there were a reasonable number of monsters that represented a challenge through level 18 or so, with demon and devil lords being challenges well beyond that. And we played with no nerfing and the almost stereotypical party (paladin, ranger, magic-user, cleric, thief) with level appropriate gear (although no magic purchasing - all "found" magic loot, but by that level we had found an awful lot).

From the way you talk, I'm gathering you probably did 3d6 in order no rerolls (although the very presence of a statisicly unlikely Paladin and Ranger does seem to argue against that), had a DM that kept a tight lid on found party equipment (although I have no idea what 'level appropriate' means in 1e context), who had wisely avoided the Unearthed Arcana rules, and that your party wasn't stocked with power gamers. If that was all the case, then I understand where you are coming from and why the confusion.

However, lets suppose that we have some more generous method of stat creation and a reasonably high death toll through the lower levels that ensures that the party that does survive is going to have reasonably good starting stats (at least one 17 or higher, possibly 2 or more 16s), that your DM either uses the tournament modules as inspiration or is randomly rolling for treasure and not putting his thumb heavily on the results, that the party is of the larger 1e sort (6-8 players may show up on a night) that the full UA options are in play and that we have a party of devious power gamers. Then we get totally different results.

I won't argue about what was fair and possible at a given level. I'll only talk about where the end state would end up at.

Consider an end game optimized fighter, double specialized for the sake of argument in the longsword. He gets 5/2 attacks per round. He's wearing a girdle of storm giant strength (potions would do in a pinch), and equipped with gauntlets of power. He wields a +5 sword. Since most end game foes other than Slaad are large, expected damage per round is therefore 1d12+12+4+3+5 * 5/2 * .95 = ~70 points of damage. That's probably not perfectly optimal, because he'd probably do even more with double specialization in warhammer and hammer of thunderbolts and he'd do alot more damage with intelligent sword with a special purpose, but some concession must be made to assembling the kit. This fighter alone roughly slays an ancient blue dragon per round, and on average takes down a 16 HD monster every round by himself. That's roughly two balrogs a round by himself. Granted, he might not have the most optimal girdle or a lesser sword, but that just a few points less damage per round. And he's possibly not the most dangerous member of the party.

I suspect you are thinking more along the lines of 16 Str, longsword +3, no specialization, 2 attacks per round for about 20 damage per round if you think giants take a long time to go down at high levels.

How about our end game Paladin. Well, in most groups I was in they'd jumped on the 'logical' suggestion of making Paladin a subclass of Cavalier, so our end game Paladin has three attacks per round with his favored weapon +5 Holy Avenger. Assuming he has a 'my real strength doesn't matter' kit like the fighter this would turn into 1d12+5+3+12+4 * 2 * 3 * .95 ~ 242 damage per round on average. This is of course enough to one shot Demogorgon by himself. In practice though, treasure distribution being what it is, the Paladin would have probably had to give up the girdle or gauntlets when choosing the holy avenger and its unlikely more than a couple had been found. Even so, the Paladin could reasonably expect to use a Manual of Gainful Excercise the Cavalier stat training rules to boost his starting strength to 18/00, which reduces his expected damage to a mere 1d12+5+6+3 * 2 * .95 ~ 117 damage per round. The fighter of course does better against the neutrally aligned, but the arch fiends clearly don't stand a chance against this party and we are only 2 characters into it.

Also on our front line could be a melee ranger. He is probably doing longsword main hand and a hand axe as his second attack for 7/2 attacks per round. But he can do better than that. You said that you'd only get 2 attacks per round. That's true with melee weapons, but not of missile weapons. A more typical build would be to go pure archer specialized in the bow and take advantage of 4 attacks per round, stacking magic arrows on a magic bow and taking advantage of the times two damage within 30'. Assuming a nice bow, this would give our archer an expected damage within 30' of about 1d6+5+5+3+2 * 2 * 4 * .95 = 148 damage. This is at ranged, when many monsters will be only able to reply weakly. Most creatures die to the first volley of arrows the ranger gets off successfully. Even at further ranges without the doubling, the ranger can take down 14 or 15 HD creatures each round unassisted.

And then there would be spellcasters. The ones that supposedly dominated 1st edition AD&D.

My thief builds normally either went elvish thief-M-U, or else went up to name level as a human fighter and then dual classed into thief to abuse the hit points/level rules. With the equipment I had by 10th level and my high hit points, it was a trivial matter to quickly level up thief (you'd get back to tenth level by the time you colleages hit 11th or 12th), and I'd be a 10th level fighter or a thief with a quadruple damage backstab multiple times per round depending on how you looked at it. Strictly speaking though, this wasn't power gaming. A thief was entirely unnecessary. I play it for style points.

The point is, yeah we were playing a different game. And yeah, you could say, well with tight treasure distribution those optimal equipment packages wouldn't happen (actually, they could be worse, I didn't mention vorpal weapons or have a dozen other possibilities) and so expected damage per character should be lower. But the point is that doesn't matter much. Even if each character is about half as effective, we're still talking 6-8 characters quite capable on paper of dishing out 400 damage in 2 rounds. That's overkill for anything in the game, and remember, that's the assumption for being HALF AS EFFECTIVE AS THE CHARACTERS COULD BE.

Anyway, that's how you do massive damage with fighters in AD&D.

Nothing in the game could remotely compete with a full PC party reasonably optimized.

Fighting Orcus on the Abyss, while his cohorts gated in virtually limitless demons, with every hit he got resulting in death with no possibility of coming back, was quite challenging, and was, in fact, a challenge we never succeeded in. (We did kill Demogorgon.)

Given what I think your constraints are, Orcus would be a special case - solely because of his 'die no save' special power.

When spells have real casting times and real durations, and can easily be interrupted by multiple foes, casters are just not as strong.

You don't have to have this conversation with me. However, casters are still strong. The strength of them is a bit harder to talk about than for melee types that are striving to achieve the same results every round (hasted ginsu abatoire), but while I agree that spellcasters didn't overshine what melee types could do as sometimes is rumored, I will also insist that the above numbers didn't mean that spellcasters in the party felt weak and unneeded.

attributes did not progress in AD&D and it took 10 wishes to raise an attribute by 1 point. good luck loading up on attributes.

Technically, you only need 10 wishes to raise attributes from 16 to a higher score. One wish would raise a 14 to a 15 or a 15 to a 16, though it would probably be a waste of a good wish. The important thing to remember is that with manuals and tomes, ioun stones, and things like girdles of giant strength or gauntlets of dexterity there were alot of ways to increase stats without recourse to wasting a wish.

hit points: as you said "it's pretty essential"

It's only pretty essential against dragons and high level spellcasters. Good armor class was far more important than hit points against most everything else, because if you take most monsters from the Monster Manuals and run their expected damage per round versus an AC between -4 and -10 you realize its pretty darn low.

in the hands of a capable DM.

There is no need to suggest that I'm not capable of running a monster. I'm just pointing out to you that by the time we are talking 18th level, we've left the normal threats of combat with greater demons and devils, giants and the like, and other 'high level foes' so far behind we can't really see them anymore. What exactly to you think is an appropriate challenge for a party of 8 characters each dishing out enough damage to down a Pit Fiend every round? And who wants to run a combat with a whole company of pit fiends or an army of giants anyway? When between the DM and the players you are throwing hundreds of dice every single round of combat, its just time to retire the characters and move on.

Now, granted, we weren't playing the same game.

Last edited:

kitcik

Adventurer
I can't do all of this, but I think I see where our difference lies, so I will try to get there quickly.

However, lets suppose that we have some more generous method of stat creation and a reasonably high death toll through the lower levels that ensures that the party that does survive is going to have reasonably good starting stats (at least one 17 or higher, possibly 2 or more 16s), that your DM either uses the tournament modules as inspiration or is randomly rolling for treasure and not putting his thumb heavily on the results, that the party is of the larger 1e sort (6-8 players may show up on a night) that the full UA options are in play and that we have a party of devious power gamers. Then we get totally different results.

stats - 4d6, choose order, no rerolls
high death toll at low level - yes
treasure based on DMG tables - yes
group size - a bit smaller, say 4-5
devious power gamers - pretty much, yeah

UA - not at all. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE BIG DIFFERENCE. No weapon specialization, not even sure what else is in there. Heard it was bad, never opened the book. Take this out, your fighter does a LOT less damage.

One more proof that 1E is better without UA, IMHO.

I suspect you are thinking more along the lines of 16 Str, longsword +3, no specialization, 2 attacks per round for about 20 damage per round if you think giants take a long time to go down at high levels.

At say level 14, Str likely 19 or so (Girdle of Hill Giant Str), +3 or +4 sword, the rest as you said with no UA.

How about our end game Paladin. Well, in most groups I was in they'd jumped on the 'logical' suggestion of making Paladin a subclass of Cavalier, so our end game Paladin has three attacks per round with his favored weapon +5 Holy Avenger. Assuming he has a 'my real strength doesn't matter' kit like the fighter this would turn into 1d12+5+3+12+4 * 2 * 3 * .95 ~ 242 damage per round on average. This is of course enough to one shot Demogorgon by himself.

No such class as cavalier, no favored weapon, no 3 attacks per round.

It is clear to me now that UA broke 1E and made high levels pointless and boring as you said. I strongly suggest to OP that you NOT use UA. Play core 1E as I said in my first post.

Technically, you only need 10 wishes to raise attributes from 16 to a higher score. One wish would raise a 14 to a 15 or a 15 to a 16, though it would probably be a waste of a good wish. The important thing to remember is that with manuals and tomes, ioun stones, and things like girdles of giant strength or gauntlets of dexterity there were alot of ways to increase stats without recourse to wasting a wish.

Keep in mind that in 1E, attributes below 15 got no bonus. And, do to the obvious power you refer to, attribute raising magic items were among the rarest in the game (at least the games I played in). You could expect, by high levels to gave gotten 1 Tome and 1 other item related to 1 attribute.

I'm just pointing out to you that by the time we are talking 18th level, we've left the normal threats of combat with greater demons and devils, giants and the like, and other 'high level foes' so far behind we can't really see them anymore. What exactly to you think is an appropriate challenge for a party of 8 characters each dishing out enough damage to down a Pit Fiend every round? And who wants to run a combat with a whole company of pit fiends or an army of giants anyway? When between the DM and the players you are throwing hundreds of dice every single round of combat, its just time to retire the characters and move on.

Now, granted, we weren't playing the same game.

Yes, this is not 1E to me. You should try it without the add-ons. The core game was great at high levels. I honestly never imagined the game changed that much non-core. I mean, none of the premade modules would even be a challenge if you deal that level of damage. In our game, you were constantly on the brink of death, hoarding precious resources and praying to find a safe resting spot, even at levels well above 20. I am glad we played the way we did.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
UA - not at all. THIS SEEMS LIKE THE BIG DIFFERENCE. No weapon specialization, not even sure what else is in there. Heard it was bad, never opened the book. Take this out, your fighter does a LOT less damage.

One more proof that 1E is better without UA, IMHO.

Note, that's what I said back in my first post:

Quote: "The Weapon Specialization rules don't help the game, and most of the Unearthed Arcana should be viewed with a great deal of skepticism, as its is unbalancing to a very great degree."

No such class as cavalier, no favored weapon, no 3 attacks per round.

Technically, even core there are multiple ways to get to 3 attacks per round. Frex, 15th level ranger + two-handed fighting, or throw darts, or (in emergencies) haste.

It is clear to me now that UA broke 1E and made high levels pointless and boring as you said.

While UA breaks the game wide open, it's still true that the game is rapidly coming to a close by 12th level or so unless the DM keeps a tight lid on what treasure is available. By the time Geas, Anti-Magic Shell, Invisible Stalker, Project Image, Transmute Rock to Mud, Find the Path, True Seeing, Heal, etc. are coming on line, the game is tottering without some help. It sounds like your DM kept a close watch on the game and managed to stretch it a bit further than I thought it could be stretched, but even in core anything after 15th level is encroaching on demigods.

Keep in mind that in 1E, attributes below 15 got no bonus.

You keep talking like I didn't play 1E for 15 years. Get this, I've played it something like your way (which is closer to my way) and the uber-powerful UA way. And I've played it a couple other ways, like with a DM that didn't allow players to see their own character sheet. Try to understand, the problem here isn't that I picked up gaming in 2001 with 3e.

Yes, this is not 1E to me. You should try it without the add-ons. The core game was great at high levels. I honestly never imagined the game changed that much non-core. I mean, none of the premade modules would even be a challenge if you deal that level of damage.

The premade characters for the premade modules are poorly equipped even so far as we can tell by the standards of Gygax's own campaign (at least based on the character sheets I've seen). But yeah, anything as whimpy as core material was not a challenge to that group. When I said, "literally earth shaking", I meant it literally.

In our game, you were constantly on the brink of death, hoarding precious resources and praying to find a safe resting spot, even at levels well above 20. I am glad we played the way we did.

It sounds like you had a great time. But at levels well above 20, a simple Rope Trick would have a duration of 7-8 hours - more than long enough to reprepare your lower level spells. So while I'm trying to be sympathetic to your claims that core only played different, I've played core only and while its not nearly as broken as full on UA, I still don't recognize the game you say you are playing if at 'well above 20' you are still playing like you are low level.

ChaosShard

Explorer
Wow... You've all given me quite a bit to think about. Thanks!

I'm going to dig through the books a bit more carefully over the next few days and see what I want to use. GDQ sounds too good to skip running, so I might do that rather than the Tomb (or run the tomb as a one-off for them.)

I'm not arguing that thieves were very weak in comparison to the other classes. Being billed as a front line combatant and given nothing to help you survive or fight is amazingly problematic.

Thieves are billed as front line combatants?

I guess I didn't get the memo.

For the OP:

Be careful about using UA material with the classic adventures mentioned in this thread. What is challenging for core AD&D characters becomes much less so with barbarians, cavaliers, and especially weapon specialization in the mix. The monsters presented in the MM, MMII, and Fiend Folio certainly don't factor UA material in.

Last edited:

Much good stuff already stated here.

I would only change one thing...Enforce racial level limits. Ensure the PLAYERS KNOW that if they choose something other than human, there ARE LEVEL LIMITS and inform them what those limits are.

Other races and multiclasses ARE more powerful than humans as a single class typically, the ONLY real advantage they humans would have is when they get up to those higher levels (if they even survive...AD&D can be notorious with some modules and some DMs of killing players) that they can keep progressing.

Of course, it was with the entire non-human psychology idea, where those who aren't human have a completely different mental and psychological make up which is why Monsters are monsters and don't advance (unlike 3e) and demi-humans have level limits. It's a completely different outlook on life and how they approach it.

Of course most play demi-humans simply as humans with pointy ears, or with beards and being extremely short and stocky, or otherwise...but the original idea was that these races had completely different views and adaptability to the world.

It was also seen as a balancing mechanism. Of interest, the underpowered Thief that someone mentions above...most player races had unlimited advancement in that class...just something of interest.
This is a very important point which must be stressed. The "feel" of the game as intended by Gygax was strongly humanocentric. And the multiclass combinations allowed to the demihumans are powerful indeed; just have a look at half-elves and half-orcs, which are the only nonhuman PC races who can be cleric. In general, demihumans have abilities which no other class ability can replicate, and which are useful at all levels of play (e.g. the elves' stealth, or ability to cast spells even when wearing armor.)
The fact that all demihumans (except half-orcs, which however make excellent assassins) can advance without limits as thieves suggests that these characters are essentially misfits, as adventuring (i.e. having a class) is not something at which races other than humans normally excel.
Taking the thief as second class also acts as a sort of "XP penalty" since even after hitting the max level in the other class(es) you must still divide by 2(3) the XPs you get.
Also note that some classes have extended limits depending on ability scores; this is an incentive in finding method to increase those scores.

So, be upfront with your players, tell them that there are level limits, however it does not mean that a demihuman cannot advance indefinitely, since they can multiclass as thieves.

Good luck!

Antonio

jcbdragon

First Post
Why do you have to be all the way up in NY? I'd *LOVE* to find a 1e or 2e game! lol

So kindly sages, I ask you:
What general advice would you give to a newbie 1e DM?

You're almost certainly going to end up with a fair number of "house rules" on different things, and you should probably record them so you can refer back later. There are also going to be times when a "rules question" comes up. Depending on the "severity" of the issue, we used one of several different approaches:

Have someone who is also fairly familiar with the rules act as a DM's Assistant. When something comes up and you need information, ask this person to look it up for you while you keep the game moving.

If the person causing the question to arise is one of the players, you may want to have them find the relevant material for you.

If it is a particularly thorny question, call for a DM conference. Most of our players were also DMs. We would call a short break in the game and the DMs would adjourn to another room to hold a quick discussion on the issue. Regardless of the opinions of the others, the one running the current game has the final say.

Tell your players that you're going to go with [insert temporary interpretation of rules here] for this session, but that you reserve the right to think about/discuss it further and change your mind later. i.e. warn them that this is not to be considered a binding precedent.

What's the one thing you wish you* knew when you first started running 1e?

That my players will enjoy it more if I make things challenging for them, and make it something more than a hack-and-slash exercise in statistical mathematics.

That I need to build in ways to "reclaim" treasure from the characters (expenses such as taxes, guild fees, etc) without turning the world into one huge bureaucracy.

That Guilds, Temples, and even family members are sadly under-utilized "hooks" for adventures.

That my players will always find the one thing I never expected them to do, didn't plan for at all, and do it!

How much finesse do I need to use in building encounters?

That is entirely up to you and your players, and the style of gaming that you prefer. If you're willing to spend the time, and give your NPCs credit for having at least SOME brains, you can turn low-level monsters into challenging encounters for moderately powerful characters.

For example, I had a group of Lvl 5-6 PCs who were trying to take out a local warlord. The warlord was known for using orcs as his basic foot-soldiers. The PCs spotted a group of 4 orcs, who promptly took off running. When the party gave chase, the orcs separated into two groups. The party split in half and continued pursuit... right up until the orcs led each half of the party into a set of pit traps. Since the orcs knew where the traps were, they could cross the area at a full run, but the party was moving way too fast to have any hope of spotting the traps until it was too late.

Would altering the race/class/level limitations game-breaking? I was considering removing racial level caps and race/class combos and giving humans +5% or +10% experience to compensate. Is that a bad idea?

We never saw the logic behind them, so did away with them completely. I never noticed any particular game-unbalancing effects from it.

What's the general opinion of the various "Survival Guides" or Unearthed Arcana?

Arcana had a few good things about it, but taken as a whole tended to be more trouble than it was worth, in my opinion. The Survival Guides have some interesting information in them, but we used them so rarely I couldn't give you an informed opinion on their contents.

Arrowhawk

First Post
Heya folks!

I'm thinking of running a 1e game starting with Keep on the Borderlands (of course, tweaked for AD&D) ****

• What general advice would you give to a newbie 1e DM?
There are people here with a lot more experience playing 1e D&D than I have. However I recently started a group and we wanted to decide between playing 1e and 3.5e.

The biggest thing I realized when I opened the 1e books and started reaccquanting myself with 1e is the lack of rules to handle the most mundane things. An attractive female character wants to convince the bartender to lend her some money? How do you decide her chances of success?

Several people have already mentioned this problem in their posts, but it is probably one of the more challenging aspects of being a 1e DM given people are familiar with the more robust skills/feats type of games.

Back when 1e came out, people knew there was no specific way to handle "skill checks" because 1e didn't really have a skills system. So as someone mentioned, you have to come up with mechanics to handle all the things that a Skills/DC Check system handles very well...on the spot. And where this is a challenge is when players start questioning the believability of your decisions or thinks their chance of success should be much higher. I think this is the most daunting part of 1e for someone used to more robust rules.

I would argue symantics with Celebrim about the amount of rules that are in 1e. I would not call them "rules" per se, but rather information. The DMG has lots of information on all kinds of topics, but as he suggests, it's not presented in a very intuitive format nor did the authors approach the topics with an eye towards canvasing all possible scenerios. You're given some information...and then left to your own means to deal with all the situations which are not mentioned.

My main advice is to conduct the game in a way that the players don't focus on the mechanics of how things are done. Progress through the story of the game is a lot less dependent on the characters succeeding on rolls when compared to 3.5. For me...DMing worked better in 1e with more of Myst type of feel, where players have to figure things out rather than get high dice rolls.

just my .02

[/LIST]

The biggest thing I realized when I opened the 1e books and started reaccquanting myself with 1e is the lack of rules to handle the most mundane things. An attractive female character wants to convince the bartender to lend her some money? How do you decide her chances of success?

Several people have already mentioned this problem in their posts, but it is probably one of the more challenging aspects of being a 1e DM given people are familiar with the more robust skills/feats type of games.
There are reaction checks, which are a quite important part of the game, too. Charisma is definitely not a dump stat when you see the importance of reaction checks to interaction with NPCs, morale of hirelings/followers etc.

Remove ads