• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Scarab of Protection [2E Item]

I was running through some old characters and came across this gem of an item.

Scarab of Protection

• +1 to Saves v. Spell
    Ability to save against spells (and spells only) with no saving throw (like Scorching Ray) on a Natural 20. Additional magical bonuses (like Resistance bonuses) would also apply to the save but not base save or ability bonuses.
    Ability to absorb up to 12 levels of enegery draining attacks.

I was thinking of a new item that would do much the same but have no idea if the second and most powerful ability has a place in 3.5E.

Thoughts?

Vuron

First Post
Keep in mind that rings of protection in 2e (not sure about other protection items) tended to provide a bonus to saves in addition to the AC bonus. For the most part this seems to have been removed from 3e. Further a +1 bonus to a saving throw vs spells is significantly less powerful than a +1 to will or other saves.

The new scarab of protection is pretty nice though as SR can be a pretty useful defense and the protection from death magic reduces the need for maintaining death ward all the time.

Vuron

First Post
the_mighty_agrippa said:
Thanks but I was mainly wondering about the ability to grant a saving throw where none existed before.

I think SR does a pretty good job of simulating a saving throw isn't normally allowed by a spell. I'm not sure you want to create a new special effect than be fairly accurately simulated by other existing abilities within the game.

Pyrex

First Post
the_mighty_agrippa said:
Thanks but I was mainly wondering about the ability to grant a saving throw where none existed before.

What do you think the SR 20 is?

For all intents and purposes it's a save; it's just that it's rolled by the other guy... :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads