• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rules Question: Upcasting Into Levels Unknown

Can a 6th level Sorcerer, who only has spell slots up to 3rd level, transform all of their 6 sorcery points into a 4th level spell slot, then upcast something like Magic Missile or Lightning Bolt into it?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I would think not, but... so far I can't actually find any wording in the rules that forbids it.

I'd probably allow it as a DM. I can't imagine anything would break just because a sorc can get a couple extra damage dice or an extra target or something once a day. Plus, that bit of extra flexibility seems thematic to the class.

Stalker0

Legend
When I first read this, I thought it was a slam dunk. Obviously there are spell level restrictions noted somewhere…but no they are really not!

And I have to agree with some other posters, if a sorc wants to nova in that way more power to them. The only spell I can think of that has a strong enough upcast that it miiight be too strong is bestow curse (assuming some sorc subclass gives it to them not sure), but even then I don’t think it’s game breaking

Shiroiken

Legend
That's a pretty expensive upcast, giving up your daily supply of a class feature for it. It's almost certainly not RAI, but I doubt it's going to be OP since you can't prepare/know a spell that's of a higher level that you have slots for.

Remove ads