• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Rogue's Been in an Awkward Place, And This Survey Might Be Our Last Chance to Let WotC Know.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It really gets annoying, especially with people not ultra fast with math.
hence:

fireball 4d6+14,
other rolls, 4 dice max for rolling, rest is average. Rolling is faster, damage is more consistent.

last thing I want to see is 15th level rogue critting, then spending 3 minutes gathering 20 d6's, rolling, spending another 2 minutes adding up, then deciding to use some ability to reroll the damage.
Or they make it worse when
they
only
roll
o
n
e
die
at
a
time

CapnZapp

Legend
It really gets annoying, especially with people not ultra fast with math.
hence:

fireball 4d6+14,
other rolls, 4 dice max for rolling, rest is average. Rolling is faster, damage is more consistent.

last thing I want to see is 15th level rogue critting, then spending 3 minutes gathering 20 d6's, rolling, spending another 2 minutes adding up, then deciding to use some ability to reroll the damage.
okay but now we're trailing off topic.

I mean, already in 2014 D&D it was easy to get a total of 15 dice on your sneak attack. Ten from sneak attack, one from your weapon, maybe two from elemental damage, and two from spell buffs.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
okay but now we're trailing off topic.

I mean, already in 2014 D&D it was easy to get a total of 15 dice on your sneak attack. Ten from sneak attack, one from your weapon, maybe two from elemental damage, and two from spell buffs.
Easy?

Horwath

Legend
Okay, relatively easy.

Point is, 20 dice already happens in the game. No reason why the Rogue can't get to play with this toy too! :)
if an AI does the rolling for you then I have no problem, for people... 3 or 4 dice max for rolling, rest average.

rogue could just get +2 damage per level for sneak attack.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
So I had an idea over on the other place, and I'm curious whether people think this would be a modest enough addition to the Rogue to give them a bit of a bump and eliminate some minor issues without stretching the power budget:

Give the Rogue a weaker version of Stroke of Luck at lower levels. This would have the added advantage of giving the Rogue a short rest resource that gives them a reason to short rest with the rest of the party prior to 20th level. So what I was thinking is that at level 2, you could get a Luck Point per short rest as per the Lucky feat, but only 1/SR instead of PB/LR.

The nice thing about this is that Lucky applies to any d20 roll, so this gives the Rogue a bit more damage in combat, or makes the Rogue a bit more reliable on a skill check than other Experts (if you really need to disarm a trap or open a door or fasttalk your way past a guard). However, because it's only 1/SR, it's nice to have but not something you can constantly spam (looking at you, Guidance...) or that you will always rely on and constantly "refresh" so that it's always up. Rogues wouldn't be as desirous of a Short Rest as a Monk or Warlock, but they'd at least get something out of it.

If that's too weak, you could have it scale somewhat by letting the Luck Point gain the benefit of Reliable Talent at Level 7, so that you can't get unlucky at Luck. And then as per Stroke of Luck now, at level 20, your Luck Point is an auto-20.

mellored

Legend
Give the Rogue a weaker version of Stroke of Luck at lower levels.
Stroke of Luck (level 2).
Immediately after you roll any die, and the result is below your Rogue level, you can increase the roll to your Rogue level, up to the maximum of a die.
For instance, if you are level 7, and roll a 1 on a d6, you can increase it to a 6.
Once you use this feature, you can not use it again until you take a short rest.

Minor damage boost at low levels, turning into an auto success, and finally an auto crit at 20.

Vikingkingq

Adventurer
Stroke of Luck (level 2).
Immediately after you roll any die, and the result is below your Rogue level, you can increase the roll to your Rogue level, up to the maximum of a die.
For instance, if you are level 7, and roll a 1 on a d6, you can increase it to a 6.
Once you use this feature, you can not use it again until you take a short rest.

Minor damage boost at low levels, turning into an auto success, and finally an auto crit at 20.
Interesting; slightly more flexible (although less powerful at lower levels) and it scales without needing additional rules text at later levels.

I like it!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I like giving them a luck point at short rest.

I might even tie it to a secondary stat. Like you start the day with luck points equal to your intelligence modifier (min 1), and then regain one on a short rest.

Melfast

Explorer
I think the new rogue is fine. It has several improvements, like weapon mastery and cunning strike. Reliable talent comes on board 4 levels sooner. The sub-classes also all seemed to get a boost that makes the sub-classes better. The rogues in our party consistently do great damage -- often more than our Barbarian and Fighter (party is currently 12th level). They almost always manage to attack with advantage, and that leads to more crits. YMMV of course.

Remove ads