• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [Revised Ed.] New Forum needed next July?

Tom Cashel

First Post
Maybe this thread belongs more properly in Meta, but I'm wondering...

Will next July's revised Ed. necessitate the creation of a new Rules Forum? One for 3E and one for Revised?

Some have speculated that the introduction of new rules and new Core Books will drive a wedge right down the center of the D20 community. I suppose there's really no way to tell right now, but what's your thought on this?

I think the two versions will be close enough that EN World will have one "D&D Rules Forum," but different enough that people in that single forum will still be specifying where their info is coming from, and in some cases will be talking about apples and oranges (changes to classes, etc.).

[spark]Of course, we'll have no problem debating Harm since it will be the same.[/spark]

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
I agree. I think the Rules forum will remain intact with no need for a revised Rules forum. As all the rule updates will be in the SRD, everyone can still discuss the rules from the same footing. This is really no different than now when someone throws out a ruling from a splatbook (like the Wildshape thread below).

Anyone that wants to discuss the unRevised rules will proably preface the discussion with the fact that they are talking about nerfing the pre-revision HARM spell for example :D (It's a joke - I swear) so we all know the basis.

Even if they don't preface it as such, as soon as someone gives the revised version of the rule in the thread it will become clear what the original poster was using.

Edit: I put that in about Harm before your edit....I swear :) And being honest here, I wouldn't be surprised if Harm doesn't get revised. It hasn't been offically revised in the FAQ or errata, so I can see it not being changed, despite all the designers saying it should be changed :)

IceBear

Last edited:

Drawmack

First Post
Only if they change Harm :rolleyes:

Since all the other rules are only minor contributions to the game changing them shouldn't spark the need for a second forum.

Seriously: I don't think there will be a need. In all honesty I see most of the changes being stuff from the errata, FAQ and ''core-rules'' put into the splat books. So that changed stuff won't even really seem changed.

On the other hand the homebrew forum might get difficult with people trying to create stuff that is in the revised books.

IceBear

Explorer
Drawmack said:
Since all the other rules are only minor contributions to the game changing them shouldn't spark the need for a second forum.

Seriously: I don't think there will be a need. In all honesty I see most of the changes being stuff from the errata, FAQ and ''core-rules'' put into the splat books. So that changed stuff won't even really seem changed.

This is my feeling too

IceBear

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'm actually looking forward to the Revised Edition quite a bit. I've got the money to spend, and I've always had very little patience for the shoddily organized FAQ and Errata. Nor have I bought any splatbooks. I'll gladly pay to have all that stuff in three handy volumes. Even the stuff about miniatures is okay by me--I've got a huge collection of those.

Bring it on!

IceBear said:
And being honest here, I wouldn't be surprised if Harm doesn't get revised.

You're finally talking sense, IceBear. ;) KIDDING!

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
No need for a new forum. Once released, the D&D 3.5 ed rules become the official rules for the game. There are still folks who play earlier editions now, but we don't worry about that here, do we?

No doubt for six months or so we will have some very intense discussions on the rule changes.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Artoomis said:

No doubt for six months or so we will have some very intense discussions on the rule changes.

Yep...that's what I'm anticipating. But this is the first time since EN World's inception that a change of this type has occurred, isn't it? There's always that chance that the hardline 3E people will petition Morrus to split the forum, though.

IceBear

Explorer
In all honesty, most of the people that seem to VERY upset by the revised rulebooks don't seem to post on the Rules forum anyway. At least from looking at the other threads in the General Forum.

IceBear

Stalker0

Legend
I also agree that the forum will be fine as is. And it will be exciting times here when the new books come out. I mean, we've beaten so many rules arguments to death around here it will be nice to have somethign new to play with:)

Remove ads