D&D (2024) 2024 needs to end 2014's passive aggressive efforts to remove magic items & other elements from d&d

Starfox

Hero
That was a very big problem in the 3.5 era. It was assumed that players would achieve a certain level of wealth and have particular items regardless of build. GMs assumed it was like the old days and that magic items were a luxury for the players. It doesn't work that way in 3E, and I'm glad it does work that way now in 5E. Avoiding this is of utmost importance, however magic item economies are done.
This is the reason I am not too fond of many magic items in 5E. In 3E magic items were assumed, and if you didn't have them, you'd not perform as well as expected. In 5E, the opposite is the base assumption. If you have no or few magic items you are on the standard power curve, if you have loads of item (which my players have in my current game) you'll be beyond the curve. This means that when I run ready-made scenarios, my players have to be about two levels lower than the expected level in order for the game to be exiting.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This is the reason I am not too fond of many magic items in 5E. In 3E magic items were assumed, and if you didn't have them, you'd not perform as well as expected. In 5E, the opposite is the base assumption. If you have no or few magic items you are on the standard power curve, if you have loads of item (which my players have in my current game) you'll be beyond the curve. This means that when I run ready-made scenarios, my players have to be about two levels lower than the expected level in order for the game to be exiting.
Yeah that was by design with magic items optional. With BA you could easy enough plan for magic items, then again I’m so very tired of magic items that just do more numbers.

Remove ads