• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Revised 6E prediction thread

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
From memory she didn't know what the magic type was (ocult iirc) then she had to look up spell effects and every single feat, figure out how the boosts worked etc.
Probably not the best class to use in a new game but she loves skill based type classes and bards in particular.

And she had to figure out the action system either as well. Lists of criss referencing using the pdf or her phone.

It's something I prefer to sit down and digest with a book vs pdf personally. Once you know what you're doing PDFs are fine.
It sounds like you are criticizing a game for achieving its design goals rather than catering to your preferences.

Zardnaar

Legend
It sounds like you are criticizing a game for achieving its design goals rather than catering to your preferences.

That's fine but if your game requires to much effort vs payoff......

Both PF2 and 5E went backwards in terms of easy to use core rules which peaked in 3.5/PF1.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
From memory she didn't know what the magic type was (ocult iirc) then she had to look up spell effects and every single feat, figure out how the boosts worked etc.
Probably not the best class to use in a new game but she loves skill based type classes and bards in particular.

And she had to figure out the action system either as well. Lists of criss referencing using the pdf or her phone.

It's something I prefer to sit down and digest with a book vs pdf personally. Once you know what you're doing PDFs are fine.
I'm not too sure if the implied "can play this using a pdf on my phone" & maybe ""can do character creation at the table using a pdf on my phone" points were high on the pf2 list of design goals

OB1

Jedi Master
I would imagine that they would never launch 6E as the "less violence" edition, but instead offer products going forward to allow options other than kill the problem to solve it. I think the key, though, is "more options and approaches to customize your game" and not "we're changing how D&D works, and now you have to play it this way."

Let's face it, combat is fun - in RPGs, that is. It is central to D&D and has always been so. Furthermore, fantasy isn't reality. We role-play to experience things that we wouldn't normally experience (hopefully not!). We want to play mighty thewed heroes, powerful wizards, crafty rogues, etc.

On the other hand, we're deluged with stories via Hollywood (see "MCU") in which heroes mostly solve problems through violence. This has a propagandizing effect, I would say. It would be nice to see more depictions of heroes finding other ways to solve problems and defeat enemies, even recognizing that the "enemy" isn't necessary that. But, I think, there will always be a place--probably a central place--for wading into battle, crushing your enemies and seeing them driven before you. But it doesn't have to be the only way.

Yes exactly.

I guess the question I'm asking is, can the base that 5e is built on be expanded to include other ways to solve problems and defeat enemies, or would it require a true 6e to accomplish? The Race/Lineage and Alignment issues are easy enough to change in an updated but still fully compatible 5e PHB/MM/DMG, but adding in a mini game as fun as combat that doesn't use violence to solve problems might be trickier.

I was hopeful after Dr. Strange that the MCU might look for more opportunities for their heroes to solve problems without violence, but (like D&D) that is so baked into the conceit at this point that it's hard to change (though WandaVision split it 50/50 in the end).

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes exactly.

I guess the question I'm asking is, can the base that 5e is built on be expanded to include other ways to solve problems and defeat enemies, or would it require a true 6e to accomplish? The Race/Lineage and Alignment issues are easy enough to change in an updated but still fully compatible 5e PHB/MM/DMG, but adding in a mini game as fun as combat that doesn't use violence to solve problems might be trickier.
All the info is already in the books, and has always been, via skills and proficiencies, the ability to get audiences through your background, using Intelligence and Wisdom to bypass traps, etc. It's just never been given as much of a spotlight, because people like to think of D&D as a combat game.

All it really needs is an expansion.

Zardnaar

Legend
It just looks like she had to do what everyone has to do when they start a game--look up what everything does.

To many moving parts, races felt incomplete at low levels, badly laid out, straight jacket structure, complicated just for the sake of complicated,pain to navigate.

Conclusion we needed to buy the actual book ($100 here), not going to get the players even if we do.

My group mostly kinda new they're figuring 5E out. PF2 would bury them.

Aarkvard

Explorer
WARgames are inherently violent. If you want to replace combat entirely in favor of some sort of social resolution system you risk alienating your base like 4th edition did for 'not being D&D enough'.

WARgames are inherently violent. If you want to replace combat entirely in favor of some sort of social resolution system you risk alienating your base like 4th edition did for 'not being D&D enough'.
D&D isn't a wargame though, and its roots as a fantasy spinoff of Chainmail are 5 editions behind it. Doubt the current generation of players and target market even knows or cares about that.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads