• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Return of the Edition War

I've seen several threads in the past week devolve into fairly vitriolic edition wars. Seems to me we had quite a long period of relative civility and good discussion. Things seem to be coming loose again. Maybe it's just me.

I've seen several threads in the past week devolve into fairly vitriolic edition wars. Seems to me we had quite a long period of relative civility and good discussion. Things seem to be coming loose again. Maybe it's just me.

So you are so upset by the recent outbreak of edition warring that has been happening and feel left out?;)

Remathilis

Legend
There seems to be two separate trends coalescing...

* A number of threads of late dealing with older-editions or clones, and specific elements therein (rules lightness, S&S elements, retro-viability, or nostalgia) that begin with an extolling for virtues of said play, but degenerate quickly into "our way is better" vs. "your way is outdated" flame-battles.

* A smaller number of threads dealing with industry elements (and 3pp in specific) that have touched off a firestorm of 3pp vs. 1pp arguments and "industry health" debates, especially focused on 4e's sales and potential D&D-inspired competitors.

I think this is partially due to the slower release schedule and lack of anything interesting going on in the industry (certain company-health stories aside). Once Gen-Con, Pathfinder, and DMG II all fall on the horizon, some of these petty squabbles will fade again.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads