• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Remaking Remakes: The Fly

I hear they're removing gnomes from the 3rd edition of The Fly! Why can't they let us keep the movie the way we like it?

;)

Seriously, Hollywood remakes movies because people will pay more to see a crappy movie called The Fly than a crappy movie with a name they don't recognize. And since Hollywood generally produces crap, it's a safer bet for them to mine lucrative intellectual property, even if it is creatively vacuous.

frankthedm

First Post
Frukathka said:
Seriously, what gives?! Is Hollywood at such a loss for new ideas that they have to remake remakes?
20 years is a fine gap between remakes. I'm curious to see what today's FX does with the movie.

The Blob is an another example of a movie I'd like to see another remake of.

I'd KILL for a reboot of the alien franchise picking back up after Aliens, disregarding Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Hammerhead

Explorer
While the Fly (80s version, of course) is undisputably a great movie, why settle for a direct remake? How about more of a spiritual successor? The Scorpion, nature's ultimate predator? The Mantis? The Locust?

Or if you absolutely have to make a movie about teleportation, why not Portal?

buzzard

First Post
Hammerhead said:
While the Fly (80s version, of course) is undisputably a great movie, why settle for a direct remake? How about more of a spiritual successor? The Scorpion, nature's ultimate predator? The Mantis? The Locust?

Haven't those already been done on SciFi network?

buzzard

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This is not a current thing, Hollywood has always done remakes. I think the problem with it is that when it is made, it is being made for the current movie goer demographic, so this one will be a PG-13 movie.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I think a lot of the current angst about remakes is due to the explosion of movies available on video. It is easy for people to see the original (or latest remake) of a movie on DVD. The result is that, while it may seem dated, it is still fresh in the minds of the viewers. Before the video boom, a remake may have been better received because it brough the promise of again seeing a movie that had not been seen in a long time.

Remove ads