• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruitment for The Mist and the Moon

Mythmere

First Post
If anyone's interested (I don't know how common or scarce players are on these boards), I'm interested in starting a 3e game here. I haven't run a pbp game before, so things may start a bit rocky. On the positive side, I've been gaming since 1979, and I've published one 3e adventure (the Goblin Fair by Airweaver Games). So much for credentials.

If you want to play, you must be at least a little familiar with Jack Vance's "Lyonesse." Not because the book plays a part in the campaign, but because the campaign is flavored very heavily in a Vancian style.

The characters will be built using a 28 point buy, with feats and skills from the PH only. Clerics may select a deity from the list at http://mythmere.tripod.com/rowanreligions.html .

No more than four players, and if lots of people respond, I'll decide who stays.

Here is the map of the Realm of Yrvaine: the play will start in the Mistral Verge.

Attachments

• yrvainemapgif.gif
    yrvainemapgif.gif
    67.7 KB · Views: 265

GoldenEagle

First Post
I have not read the book you mentioned but I would be interested in a description of the style if you are inclined. Also what level would we be starting at (1st?)

GE

Mythmere

First Post
The Mist and the Moon

Dang, I left that out. The party will be starting at second level, no penalty for multiclassing.

Vance's style is, um, hmm. I guess it isn't so important that you have read one of his books, but it would be nice. Here's a quote:

"Rhialto relaxed, smiling at his own odd fancies, and poured out a final cup of tea...He let it cool untasted. On impulse he rose to his feet and went into the parlour, where he donned a cloak, a hunter's cap, and took up that baton known as 'Malfezar's Woe.' He then summoned Ladanque, his chamberlain and general factotum.
"Ladanque, I will be strolling around in the forest for a period. Take care that Vat Five retains its roil. If you wish, you may distill the contents of the large blue alembic into a stoppered flask. Use a low heat and avoid breathing the vapor; it will bring a purulent rash to your face."
"Very well, sir. What of the clevenger?"
"Pay it no heed. Do not approach the cage. Remember, its talk of both virgins and wealth is illusory; I doubt if it knows the meaning of either term."
"Just so, sir."
Rhialto departed the manse."

"The Murthe", Rhialto the Marvellous, by Jack Vance

GoldenEagle

First Post
I'll play. Not sure what character yet. Not a fighter or Cleric. Perhaps a Rogue or a Sorcerer or a Multi Rogue-Sorcerer. Perhaps Elven. Any other special rules? Regular Gold for 2nd level PC?

GE

Mythmere

First Post
The Mist and the Moon

No special rules, and regular gold for a second level character. I'd like to keep the names roughly in keeping with the character of the region, which is sort of Celtic/Irish. Some sample names (just to give you a feel) might be:

Celtic:
Belnunnus
Silactenos
Beldelenos
Caractaga

Vancian:
Durmid Nunmaliot
Uthbur Confalto
Bodifer Ballolio
Frydo Pryliel
Baldo Fianardo

Irish:
Cargheliath
Mathmaenne
Cernfairliath
Fiadairbre
Cernfailto

Just some ideas. An elf is fine, too.

garyh

First Post
I'm up for playing. Haven't read Vance, but I think I can get a hang of the style.

I'm interested in playing a rogue, bard, or maybe rogue/bard. :D Probably human.

As you can see by my sig, finding at least one player per game isn't hard - I'm an addict. :cool:

Mythmere

First Post
The Mist and the Moon

Great to have you on board, Garyh! With as much experience at PBP as you have, you can probably help me with any of the details of how to make the game function.

A bard or rogue is fine, but you might want to coordinate with Golden Eagle so the party doesn't end up with two rogues. Unless you decide to be very roguish.

In terms of backstory, once you decide what class you want to play, give me a general idea of the backstory and I will help you fill in the campaign-specific details. This will also introduce you to the campaign setting.

One other note. In addition to the Irish/Celtic background (Galtic, in the campaign world), you can be Germanic (with the flavor of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales) (Teutonic, in the campaign world). The campaign setting will begin in the Mistral Verge, a high saddle of land between the Moonfallows and the Fellfastings, the main trade route between the Heidenlaander Empire and the Realm of Yrvaine.

garyh

First Post
Cool!!

Don't worry, GE and I are in at least one other game together - I lose count of who's in which sometimes :) - and we can play nice. Sometimes I think there's about a dozen people in the PbP forum, and we all just play in each other's games. :D

If he really wants to go rogue, I can always go with a sorcerer or Tuetonic fighter or paladin. If he goes with a sorcerer, I'll take the rog/brd.

If you need pointers on PbP, I'll be glad to help, and you can cruise the games I play in to pick up on how it looks.

Last edited:

GoldenEagle

First Post
I was going to play a Hafling Rogue with a couple levels of Sorcerer (eventually) to help the concept. I will have him up today or tomorrow.

I am thinking sneaky type - VERY rogue-ish with a sense of humor.

GE

garyh

First Post
I'll go with a Human sorcerer, then. We'll need some arcane support besides your eventual sorcerer levels.

Now, we just need some muscle and some healing. :)

Remove ads