• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reaping Mauler

themightygeckoe

First Post
A monk in my group wants to take the reaping mauler prestige class. ONe of the criteria for a reaping mauler is defeating an opponent a size bigger than you. He argues that this should count as any group combat where an opponenet is bigger than him.

I argue the he must single handedly defeat an opponenet bigger than him.

Any help on this, the rules for the class don't specifically state that he has to do it solo but if that's the case he can join an army beat 3 large creatures and be done with it. I don't feel that that's the intent of that pre requisite but am seeking clarification on these boards.

wayne62682

First Post
Well, if the rules don't flat out say single-handedly then he doesn't need to do it single-handedly (compare to the Spellsword which IIRC does say you must defeat a foe single-handedly). However I'm inclined to agree that the flavor of the class intends for it to be done solo.

Eloi

First Post
Definitely Solo.

He did notice he needs to be a Large-sized creature to be a Reaping Mauler, right? That particular prerequisite is so frequently forgotten..

DM_Matt

First Post
Eloi said:
Definitely Solo.

He did notice he needs to be a Large-sized creature to be a Reaping Mauler, right? That particular prerequisite is so frequently forgotten..

Uh, no, he CANNOT be a large-sized creature and be a Reaping Mauler. It requires Clever Wrestling which in turn requires being Small or Medium.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
James McMurray said:
I'd say solo as well.

It should be single-handed, but if he like, fights an ogre single-handed for 8 rounds, then Big-Jerk-Spotlight-Stealer McGee comes around and kills it by doing 1 point of damage after the monk did 50 dmg to it, you should not hold that against the monk. (i.e. if he did most of the work, it should count-- and you should give 0xp to the "helper" that session for spotlight theft) [note I am so bitter on this topic because my character was engaged in an ARENA combat, 1 on 1, where my paladin had made various vows of honor before hand stating what would happen if he won/lost the fight with a powerful general. Que the spotlight hog of the group who flies into the combat and starts attacking my opponent from behind while I am supposed to be fighting him one on one or else the terms of my deal are violated AND I lose my honor! So not only did I fail to achieve a major campaign goal (if I won the fight, I got an audience with the emperor, something our group desperately needed for our mission to succeed), but also broke my word, meaning I lost my paladin abilities, because one of the players in the group was bored that he was only supposed to watch the fight (like all the other thousand spectators were).

ahem.. back on topic. Also, be aware as the DM that YOU MUST give him the opportunity to have such a fight, and it should be a winnable situation. Don't say, oh, you want to be a reaping mauler, here's your chance to solo a larger opponent, and then have it be a titan or purple worm or something. An opponent who has cast enlarge person on himself would be a fair target. Beating an ogre in a grapple is likewise an unfair test (their STR is so ridiculously high the only way to win is for them to roll a d3 when you get to roll a d20, with all the numbers 1-10 changed to read 11-20. And even then, you'd stil lose quite often...

Sleeping Dragon

First Post
epochrpg said:
It should be single-handed, but if he like, fights an ogre single-handed for 8 rounds, then Big-Jerk-Spotlight-Stealer McGee comes around and kills it by doing 1 point of damage after the monk did 50 dmg to it, you should not hold that against the monk. (i.e. if he did most of the work, it should count-- and you should give 0xp to the "helper" that session for spotlight theft) [note I am so bitter on this topic because my character was engaged in an ARENA combat, 1 on 1, where my paladin had made various vows of honor before hand stating what would happen if he won/lost the fight with a powerful general. Que the spotlight hog of the group who flies into the combat and starts attacking my opponent from behind while I am supposed to be fighting him one on one or else the terms of my deal are violated AND I lose my honor! So not only did I fail to achieve a major campaign goal (if I won the fight, I got an audience with the emperor, something our group desperately needed for our mission to succeed), but also broke my word, meaning I lost my paladin abilities, because one of the players in the group was bored that he was only supposed to watch the fight (like all the other thousand spectators were).

Your paladin lost his abilities because of something another character did? :confused:

Remove ads