• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reaper starter kits - worth it?

msd

First Post
Basically, the title says it all. Are the Reaper mini starter kits worth it? I know a lot of people have posted links to some great online resources, but what I am really looking for is a good how-to guide from start to finish (using basic techniques obviously) that I'll have in one place.

Thoughts?

msd

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:
Economically it's not bad.
You get some ok brushes, some standard paints, and a mini or two.

If you are just starting, go for it.

And the instruction manual...any thoughts on it? Basically, I am looking for an alternative to the Games Workshop book (How to Paint Citadel Miniatures) which I personally did not find particularly helpful.

Thanks again,
-M

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
I don't remember anything new or special about the instruction manual.
There are many free online resources for that.
Unfortunately I can't seem to find any of them at the moment.

msd

First Post
BlueBlackRed said:
There are many free online resources for that.

Yeah...I've just never found one that is really that comprehensive. Maybe that is just my google-fu or maybe I am just looking for something that doesn't exist. In either event, thanks for the help...much appreciated friend. :D

gill_smoke

First Post
msd said:
And the instruction manual...any thoughts on it? Basically, I am looking for an alternative to the Games Workshop book (How to Paint Citadel Miniatures) which I personally did not find particularly helpful.

Thanks again,
-M
Pogre compiled a whole list of online tutorials and guides in this thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133078
It has not been updated in a while. If I remember right the GW tutorial is in the list.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I restarted painting minis using a Reaper starter kit (the #1 I think, the one with the dire rat and the man-at-arms), and I really, really liked it. Good product, and it allowed me to get back all my painting basics in about two days. Exactly what I was searching for.

pogre

Legend
gill_smoke said:
Pogre compiled a whole list of online tutorials and guides in this thread http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133078
It has not been updated in a while. If I remember right the GW tutorial is in the list.

Thanks gill_smoke!
I actually update it as I finds things and usually during times when I'm painting a lot. I just added another step-by-step tutorial.

I think the Reaper packs are OK. I think there is better out there for free online right now.

Remove ads