• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Re-creating a 2ED sword for 4ED

Amaroq

Community Supporter
Am I heading down the right road at all? Consider this...most of my/our ideas are geared to reducing resistances. But if you are swinging a sword, the resistances don't apply in a lot of cases. Unless your power includes a typed damage rider.

But I can't think of anything else that would simulate the old "need +3 weapon" to hit.
So your base fighter doesn't care about this sword as much, but anybody in the Swordmage, Paladin, et. al classes does. Basically, anybody who is martial with magical tones to it winds up with numerous powers that have typed damage on Weapon. I could also imagine an Eladrin Wizard using the sword as an implement, and asking for all of his powers to ignore resistance with it.

For the "feel" you're looking for, you definitely want to hit insubstantial for full damage. I was wondering about "ignore resistance equal to one-half the user's level" as an interesting balance point - slicing through only resist 1 at 2nd level, to a maximum of resist 15 at 30th level, which won't terribly nerf the most resistant of creatures. Ignore seems to be the right verb for the power to make it clear that it isn't reducing the resistance permanently.

Balance that against a +6 longsword which doesn't ignore resistance - hypothetically, that +6 should hit about 50% of the time, for, say, 2d8+14+(6d6-crit). Vs. a resist 20 creature, we're doing something like 23 points of damage on average, so we average 3 points per hit. We also average 21 points every 20 rolls for our crit, so let's call that 1 point per swing. That gives us an average of 10 points in four rounds of at-will attacks.

Our +1 longsword would hit 25% of the time, for, say, 2d8+9+(1d6-crit) damage, but ignores 15 points of resistance. The creature resists 5, leaving us doing 9 points of damage on average. Our crit is 3.5 points every 20 rolls, so in four rounds of at-will attacks, we average 9.7 points.

For my money, that's good enough - and that's not considering that our +6 may not be doing the typed damage our opponent resists, or should have its own powers for additional effects.

The place I'm wondering if you're on the wrong track is, why are you worrying about Level and Cost at all?

Give the weapon something like:

Property: this weapon is unique. The weapon's powers cannot be created, duplicated, enhanced, reduced, transferred, or disenchanted by any Ritual.

That ensures uniqueness, and gets you out of caring about what it might cost to level it up or down. It can't be bought. When you deal it to the party, its basically the highest-level magic item in the current level parcel. If they sell it, they can find somebody who is willing to buy it at, say, the equivalent of (current level minus 5).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Here is what I came up so far. I think using Mustrum's suggestion for a daily power combined with other's inputs, keeps the sword interesting to a basic fighter, but after using the power let's other classes' powers apply.

See if you think it's worded properly.

EDIT once I figure out how to get my files from my cox storage space I have a nice pdf. til then;

Fairplay
A weapon created by the demigod Kelanen, designed to remove unfair adavantages and ensure combat is a test of skill
Level: 8
Price: 3,400 gp
Weapon: Longsword
Enhancement: +1 to attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6
Property: Untyped damage done with this weapon ignores a number of points of resistance equal to twice the weapon’s enhancement bonus.
Property: Damage inflicted by this weapon fullfills the requirement for any special material needed to negate a creatures defenses.

Power: Daily (Minor Action): Until the end of the encounter, you ignore 5 points of resistance per tier and treat all immunities as Resist 15 for attacks with this weapon.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
The Sword of Twin Scales, Heroic Level
Born a slave, in life Surrash the Surehanded made a name for himself as a gladiator. When he bought his freedom he became a champion of the people, and when he retired he oversaw the most widespread and profitable weapon trade since the fall of Nerath. Whether in the arena, on the battlefield, or in the bank, the stout dragonborn espoused the ideals of an even playing field where anyone could excel. It was no surprise that, in death, he sits at the right hand of Kord as an adviser and Exarch. This was his blade, and legend says it still carries his spark of equality.
Excellent work! Low-level artifacts are cool.

the Jester

Legend
Remember the big too-doo about a month ago about the article that WotC put up about kick-ass magic items, and how they were best saved for your home game since the power level of magic items is set pretty low in the rules?

Ignore the naysayers, dude. A +1 weapon that ignores resistances sounds just right. I'd price it as a level 7 item (since it is better than any other +1 weapon).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Why not just make it ignore resistances? I don't recall reading any mobs who are immune to magic swords?

Hence my dilema in recreating the flavor. That was it's strength in old editions. It might only be +1, but you could still hit the big old demon.

Now, having it ignore resistances seems to be the best fit. BUT. It's just a sword. So nothing was resisting it anyway. And if I make powers work through it (say a firey weapon) then a sword that let any power delivered by it ignore all resistances could be too powerful.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Remember the big too-doo about a month ago about the article that WotC put up about kick-ass magic items, and how they were best saved for your home game since the power level of magic items is set pretty low in the rules?

Ignore the naysayers, dude. A +1 weapon that ignores resistances sounds just right. I'd price it as a level 7 item (since it is better than any other +1 weapon).

That's what I am looking for, but having a hard time making sure a basic fighter would appreciate the weapon.

I like the simplicity of what you suggest and just may have to deal with the fact that classes that deliver typed damage via swords would like it better.

Not sure Kelanen will approve...:p

the Jester

Legend
Here's the thing, though- there are a few creatures with "resist weapons" or "resist all attacks that target AC". There aren't many, but there are a few "resist all" critters too- usually via short-duration powers, but still...

You could also have it trigger weaknesses vs. specific weapon types (lycanthropes, I'm looking at you).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads