• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Re-creating a 2ED sword for 4ED

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I had a sword with an interesting backstory in 2nd edition with one simple property. It was a +1 weapon but it was capable of hitting any creature regardless of immunities. You still needed the skill to hit, but if you were fighting a demon that required +3 or better to hit, the sword negated that defense and allowed you to hit. It acted like silver for werewolves and a crossbow bolt for rakshasas (no instant kill). My players loved it and kept it longer than any other sword, around 5th to 11th if I recall.

Obviously 4th does not require magical pluses to hit creatures, and silver only ceases lycanthrope regen for a while. So I need it recreate it to meet the intent, simple yet effective.

Here is the weapon from 2nd ED as I recall;

Fairplay - created by a demi-god of skill and excellence in battle to level the playing field between opponents.
+1 to hit/damage longsword
Ability: Bypasses any requirement for a special weapon or material needed to hit.

Here is what I am considering for 4th ED:

Fairplay
A weapon created by a demi-god of combat designed to reduce remove unfair adavantages and ensure combats are a test of skill
Level: ???
Price: ???
Weapon: Longsword
Enhancement: +1 to attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage
Property: Attacks made with this weapon bypass any immunities or resistances the attacked creature has and the weapon fulfills the requirement for any special materials required to negate the creatures defenses.

I am open to any suggestions; level, cost, modification of the special property etc. This is not intended to be a property that you can add to a different weapon, it is a function of this specific weapon.

thanks...

eriktheguy

First Post
...but when you roll a natural 1 on an attack roll, you must switch from the +1/2 level attack bonus system to the THAC0 attack system until the end of the encounter.

BobTheNob

First Post
Thats a pretty hefty enchantment. Whenever I am trying to make decisions like this I always like to look at an existing item for an example.

Andaminite weapon is what I will focus on. It reduces DR by its enchantment*2 and that is only untyped damage. It starts at level 8 (i.e. min ench +2). If that represents the sort of power level designers were going for you have utterly blasted it out of the water! I know what you are trying to achieve, but at minimum it would need to be a +2 (if not 3) enchantment. You would also need to consider the actual level of the item itself, and I would advise around (starting at) 10 or (if min +3) 15.

Either that, or convert the property to a power. If implemented as an encounter power, I could justify a minimum level of 4 (+1), or as a daily power, you could make that a level 2 weapon.

I appreciate this is a once off weapon and if you want it as part of your game as specified, ensure that it has an exit point (i.e. a point at which players have to give it up) and a caveat that it cannot be upgraded (so you dont get someone holding on to it and simply upping the + as required)

Dire Human

First Post
Right now we have the Breaching Gauntlets, a Level 6 hand-slot item that says:
Property: Reduce the value of any resistance an enemy has against your attacks by 1.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Use this power when you hit with a weapon attack, but before you deal damage. Reduce the value of any resistance the target has against your attack by 5 (save ends).
But let's give it some juice, eh? You said that this is a very specific weapon, crafted by a demigod? I think it's time to break out the artifact rules...

The Sword of Twin Scales, Heroic Level
Born a slave, in life Surrash the Surehanded made a name for himself as a gladiator. When he bought his freedom he became a champion of the people, and when he retired he oversaw the most widespread and profitable weapon trade since the fall of Nerath. Whether in the arena, on the battlefield, or in the bank, the stout dragonborn espoused the ideals of an even playing field where anyone could excel. It was no surprise that, in death, he sits at the right hand of Kord as an adviser and Exarch. This was his blade, and legend says it still carries his spark of equality.

The Sword of Twin Scales is a +1 longsword.
Enhancement: Attack and damage rolls
Property: Any resistances you possess are reduced by 5. If you possess any immunities, they become resist 10 instead (unaffected by this property's reduction).
Property: Whenever you damage a creature with this weapon, any resistances it possesses are reduced by 5 until the end of the encounter. If the target possesses any immunities, they instead become resist 10 until the end of the encounter. A creature can only be affected by this property once per encounter.
Power (At-Will): Minor action. Change the Sword of Twin Scales into any light or heavy blade you have proficiency with.
Power (Encounter): Free action. Use this power when you become weakened, immobilized, or restrained. You make a saving throw against the triggering effect with a +5 item bonus.
Power (Daily): Minor action. All enemies adjacent to you grant combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn.

Goals of the Sword of Twin Scales
Attach itself to a worthy hero who fights for equality.
Destroy agents of unfairness, from petty thieves to oppressive governments.
Challenge all comers, to better test its chosen hero’s might.

Roleplaying the Sword of Twin Scales
The Sword of Twin Scales believes all fights should be fair fights and frowns upon underhanded tactics, not only from its wielder but his or her allies as well. The Sword pushes its owner to allow prone enemies to stand, avoid targets fighting at a noticeable disadvantage (much lower level, weakened, etc.). While the Sword can’t communicate directly, it nudges its wielder like a dowsing rod to “acceptable targets” and glows red-hot with anger if it senses an unfair fight.

Concordance
Starting Score: 5
Owner gains a level: +1d10
Owner completes a quest to destroy an agent of unfairness or corruption: +1
Owner defeats an enemy three or more levels higher than itself (maximum 1/day): +1
Owner defeats a non-minion enemy that has not been attacked by any ally (maximum 1/day): +1
Owner defeats an enemy while it is weakened, immobilized, or restrained: -1
Owner attacks an enemy during a surprise round: -1
Owner flees from combat: -1

Pleased (16–20)
"Let all who fall to our swords know that there is no excuse but their own weakness."
The Sword of Twin Scales has challenged all comers, and you have been found more than worthy. Its surface crackles with Kord’s lightning, ready for its next fight.
Property: The Sword reduces resistances to enemies by 10 instead of 5, and immunities the Sword reduces become resist 5 instead.
Property: Enemies do not gain the +2 bonus to attack rolls when you grant combat advantage to them.
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Until the end of your next turn, you can re-roll missed attack rolls against non-bloodied enemies. You must take the second roll, even if it’s lower.
Satisfied (12–15)
“Our power is unmatched in any arena.”
The Sword of Twin Scales sees promise in you, and your accomplishments have spoken that you are nothing if not just to your foes. Still, there is work to be done, and it pushes you forward.
Property: You gain a +1 item bonus to attack rolls against AC.
Power (Encounter): Free Action. Use this power when you grant combat advantage to an enemy. That enemy grants combat advantage to you until the end of your next turn.
Normal (5–11)
“Onward! Against all fair challenges, let none doubt our might!”
The Sword pushes its owner, seeking challenges to its strength and fighting inequality wherever it appears.

Unsatisfied (1–4)
“Though I am weak, this will make my victories all the sweeter.”
Special: You grant combat advantage to creatures whose level is lower than yours.
Angered (0 or lower)
“I have been found unworthy.”
The Sword sees its owner as cowardly and iniquitous, pulling away from its hands at inopportune times and urging it to find a worthy wielder.
The artifact’s enhancement bonus drops by 1.
Special: Once per day, when you roll a critical hit, make a saving throw. If you fail, the attack misses instead.
Moving On
“We have fought well, and we have triumphed.”
The Sword of Twin Scales sees justice and strength in its wielder’s heart, and moves on to inspire another soul.

When the wielder next gains a level, the Sword vanishes in a crash of lightning, leaving behind a +2 lightning weapon of the same type of light or heavy blade that wielder commonly used the Sword as. Also, the wielder gains a permanent +1 to saving throws against the immobilized, restrained, and weakened conditions. Though the Sword is gone, the Twin Scales still tip towards honorable combat.

If the Sword moves on because it is unsatisfied with the wielder, then the wielder receives a permanent -1 to saving throws against the immobilized, restrained, and weakened conditions, and no weapon appears to replace the Sword when it vanishes.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
BobtheNob - excellent thoughts. I am going to have to consider those power levels and maybe adjust Fairplay.

Dire Human - that is one outstanding writeup, I am going to cut and paste it into OneNote for my campaign use. Sadly, it is too much for Fairplay. As you read, Fairplay was a lowkey weapon with one simple "gift" to level the playing field.
Also I have a question about the Sword of Twin Scales, when you say on a hit it lowers resistance by 5 on the target, would that not also lower it for other characters, say a wizard not in the combat as it were? That wouldn't be leveling the field to skill versus skill would it? What are your thoughts?

Thanks all...will update soon...

Starfox

Hero
Do you expect this to help against incorporeal foes? Maybe only against incorporeal foes vulnerable to specific substances (does such a creature even exist?). That makes it a lot more hefty.

Other than that, I see this as a minor enchantment, as few things in 4E have any kind of resistance to untyped damage (which is what weapons do) and only ha few have conditional regeneration or somesuch.

You could reduce the power level by making the ability a daily power.

Fairplay
A weapon created by a demi-god of combat designed to reduce remove unfair adavantages and ensure combats are a test of skill
Level: 4
Price: ???
Weapon: Longsword
Enhancement: +1 to attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Daily (Minor Action): Until the end of the encounter, you ignore 5 points of resistance per tier and treat all immunities as Resist 15 for attacks with this weapon. If the target of an attack has abilities requiring special materials to negate them, the attack is treated as having such.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
A question to all;

Am I heading down the right road at all? Consider this...most of my/our ideas are geared to reducing resistances. But if you are swinging a sword, the resistances don't apply in a lot of cases. Unless your power includes a typed damage rider.

But I can't think of anything else that would simulate the old "need +3 weapon" to hit.

Mestrum Ridcully, I have been considering making it a daily. That could even bring about more roleplaying than being constantly on. "So, you wish a test of skill vile fiend, so be it". And being a daily seems to fit with the 4th ED paradigm a little better. Still feels off to me though.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Do you expect this to help against incorporeal foes? Maybe only against incorporeal foes vulnerable to specific substances (does such a creature even exist?). That makes it a lot more hefty.

Other than that, I see this as a minor enchantment, as few things in 4E have any kind of resistance to untyped damage (which is what weapons do) and only ha few have conditional regeneration or somesuch.

You mentioning that few creatures have resistance to untyped damage made me ask the question in the post above.

And I would think that being able to hit incorporeal foes would be important to a battle of skill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads